Aleph XP-5 Motion Sensors Not Ready (ADT Safewatch Pro 3000)

Old 08-04-13, 03:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Aleph XP-5 Motion Sensors Not Ready (ADT Safewatch Pro 3000)

Hi,

I bought a foreclosure a few months ago that has a ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 system installed (but no subscription). The house was built in 1994, but the ADT system panel indicates that was installed in 2006 (also has the rf board which is functioning correctly).
Worked fine but all of a sudden all three motion detectors (Aleph XP-5) are now reading "Not Ready" (3 separate zones, 02, 04, 07). Not sure what happened.
Through this post (stickies) I was able to extract the installer ID and created a new Master Code. I have cleared alarms and memory successfully and attempted testing, but I still receive the Not Ready in the display window for those zones.
The motion sensors are Aleph XP-5 and are hard-wired. There are 4 wires, 2 to power (red, black) and 2 to alarm (white, green). The alarm and the power separately read voltage across the terminals in their current state. I have powered down and up the system (per stickies) and also lifted leads on the motion sensors. No luck.
I cannot find a install manual for the Aleph although I did download both the user and install manuals (thanks to stickies) for the ADT.
Any ideas would be helpful. It seems odd that all 3 sensors would just drop out at the same time.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-13, 06:20 PM
T
Can you meter for power at each motion or, does/did a light turn on when you stepped in front of it?

Old 08-04-13, 07:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Simple test: disconnect the zone wiring (just the zone wires) for each zone, one at a time. Replace those wires with a 2000 ohm resistor. If the zone closes, then the problem is with the motion or the wiring between. If the zone doesn't close, then something is either wrong with the zone input or the programming.

Old 08-05-13, 05:01 AM
J
I did meter the motion terminals as described but I failed to mention that there was no light that turned on when I step in front of any of them. Also, as expected, the "Ready" light on the keypad is off.

Old 08-05-13, 05:21 AM
J
I will connect the resistor and see what happens. Thanks.

Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
With all three failing at the same time, my strong suspicion is that there is some common point where they get their power from the alarm control's aux power (the same terminals that power the keypads) that has come loose.

Old 08-06-13, 11:40 AM
J
I will also check this. Thanks.

Old 08-06-13, 11:44 AM
J
There is power at the sensors ~ 7-8 volts on the power terms and 11+ volts from the alarm terminals. The Aleph XP-5 sensor indicates there should be 9 - 15 volts on the power terms, but does not mention the voltage across the alarm terms. Since I do not have a Aleph manual I do not know what this means.
I will still check for a loose term on the system board. Thanks.

Old 08-06-13, 07:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Coming from your system power supply, you should be seeing more like 12.5-13VDC at the device for the power. Any voltage on the alarm terminals is just the supervision voltage from the alarm system for the security loop. The alarm terminals at the motion are just a relay ("dry" contact = no voltage produced by the relay).

I strongly suspect that you either have a broken wire for the 12v from the alarm panel, or one of the 3 motions has failed badly enough that it is pulling the voltage for aux power down (not likely, as that would also make your keypads lose power).

Old 08-09-13, 06:23 AM
J
I will check this weekend. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-16-13, 12:25 PM
J
Cool

It has taken me a bit to investigate and it is as you described. The installer gang-banged all the zones into one "power" and one "ground" to the system board. This is not an installer problem, but over time it had loosened up.
It took me awhile to figure out which cable is which in the system box and I now have this named and organized. Again, not really an installer issue.
Thanks for all your help and I learned quite a bit on this project.