Door Sensor gone bad?

Old 08-28-13, 02:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Sensor gone bad?

GE SmartSecurity System (I posted the manual for this lost relic a while back). It seems one of my door sensors has sensed it last door... It keeps reporting low battery, I keep replacing, and one battery keeps dying 6 hours later. I have no idea whats wrong with it and I ma quite frankly surprised something so simple could 'die'.
My question(s): Does anyone know what may be wrong with it or know where I can get a replacement without sacrificing one of my children to get it?

Thanks~

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-13, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
Does it have a model number on it ?

It's supposed to transmit a signal burst out at selected times. Usually for check in and alarm reporting. If the transmitter gets stuck on it could kill the battery. Otherwise it's just a natural failure.

Old 08-28-13, 05:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It's a modified Simon system. Any of the standard GE wireless transmitters will work with it.

Old 08-28-13, 07:16 PM
D
In Response:

Model 60-875-11-3-RETG

It's a simon before it was a simon?

Is there a way to test for this and/or fix this type of failure with a multi-meter, soldering stick and some courage?

If no, where would be the best suggested place for a replacement?

What do you think of this: http://www.alldataresource.com/produ...?itemid=159579

Thanks!

Old 08-29-13, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a Simon with a simplified and more limited feature set.

Buy your parts from any vendor that you feel you can trust.

There's not really any component level repair you can do to one of these transmitters. Sometimes entropy wins.

Old 08-29-13, 10:38 AM
D
Maybe it's me...

After thinking about PJMAX's post, I wondered if maybe I hit the 'add' button, if so maybe it was continuously sending out a signal waiting to be found?
To test, I removed the sensor from the system, then re-added it. It had been dying in about 6 hours, so I will give it until this evening, it will be beeping like hell before then if they die.

Also Ron, I don't know if checked the link I had up, I can't really cross compare part numbers for this since you WONT find the part numbers for this system... do you 'think' that the sensor I posted 'should' work? (Quotes reflect my looking for your opinion, I would not ask you to sign your name to the answer).

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-29-13, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,044 Votes on 968 Posts
When you hit add it just sounds a short burst of rf out. It doesn't know whether the panel saw it or not.

Old 08-29-13, 04:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That part listing that was displayed is actually the little add on connector that lets you add a hardwired contact to the NX-450/60-670-95R that was in the picture.

All of the GE panels work with this family of transmitters. Just search for "GE wireless contact"

Old 08-30-13, 06:25 AM
D
Well... I deleted the sensor, I re-added it - and now it's working fine...
Are you sure it doesn't continuously send out a signal until found? That's the only thing I can think would have caused the battery drain, and only after you off offhandedly suggested it...
Either that, or it's possessed...

And thanks for the info on that sensor, it's funny because it looks exactly like mine, and I mean exactly. Guess you can't always believe what you see on the internet (chuckle).

In either event, it's working fine now so thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-31-13, 01:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
They showed a picture of the wireless transmitter. The _part_number_ is for the little add on wire connector for that wireless transmitter.