Anyway to extend the wireless range of Simon XT Touch Screen

Old 09-03-13, 12:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anyway to extend the wireless range of Simon XT Touch Screen

Hi everyone, great community here and I hope someone can help me here.

I've a Simon XTi and a secondary Talking Touch Screen (60-924-RF-TS). Is there a way to extend the wireless range of the two unit. A repeater or signal amplifier or high gain antenna like wifi?

As it is now, the Touch Screen only work somewhat between the front and the back house at about 60ft apart, the RF test fluctuated between 1 to 2 bars. When it works it has a long delay, like a minute between the 2 units when trying to arm or disarm or getting voice notification from the Touch Screen.

Would appreciate any help or suggestion. Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-13, 03:39 PM
G
wireless repeaters are available...but not for the touchscreen (part number 80-922-1)
touchscreen uses a different RF frequency...

Old 09-03-13, 04:37 PM
J
Thanks GEGuy for the quick replied. So the Crystal Repeater (part number 80-922-1) will not work in my case. Is there any other options?

Do you happen to know which is the correct internal antenna for the XTi that communicate with the Touch Screen? Can I just attach a longer wire to it, up to the attic then goes out to the back of the attic vent?

I believed there are 3 antennas inside the XTi, one is the flat piece about 5 inches long and half in wide, I think that is for the cellular link. The 2nd is a small wire about 3 inches long, I think that is for the Zwave. And the 3rd is two coil spring looking thing attached to both side of the XTi main board, is that the antenna for communicating with the Touch Screen?

Old 09-03-13, 06:55 PM
G
Short of moving the main unit closer to the touchscreen, none of the options above will do much of anything....

Old 09-03-13, 07:05 PM
J
Thanks again GEGUY. One more question. Does the Concord unit works with the Touch Screen? I know it has a better range.

Old 09-04-13, 08:17 PM
G
No it does not..................

Old 09-05-13, 09:59 AM
T
Ironically, I just came here to investigate this same issue

I will add to the info asked by the OP. I have two 60-924-RF-TS touch screens with a Simon XT. It is particularly an issue in the summer months but I have even put the touch screen within line of sight 10 ft away from the Simon panel and it loses it's connection. I have two panels and both suffer from intermittent failures, again, predominately during summer months (solar interference???). Frankly, if these things were designed so poorly to as not work from 10 FT away and in line of sight, they are trash IMHO.

Are there any alternatives because my problem is the panels serve as the alarm since in GE's infinite wisdom, they gratuitously beep the wired alarm damn near every time you touch the panel. I really don't need the alarm to beep when I arm the house, etc; It drives my elderly dog nuts (old dog, no new tricks, etc) and frankly wakes people if the arming occurs after someone is asleep so I disconnected it.

BTW: This is a fully DIY setup so I have a lot of flexibility so long as I get to keep the interlogix sensors. If there is a better panel than the XT I can upgrade, but I want the panels to work right.

Last edited by terrafrmr; 09-05-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 03:40 PM
G
You can turn off the beeps from the touchscreen and the main unit...And you can silent arm...read the manual

What is the main unit mounted by? Any wireless routers, phones, in an electrical closet, etc??

Old 09-05-13, 04:10 PM
T
You can turn off the beeps from the touchscreen and the main unit...And you can silent arm...read the manual
I turned off all beeps on the panel and the wired alarm upstairs still chirps, even when I use the silent option, although the count down chirps stop, the arming chirp still occurs initially. It chirps when you use the remote key fobs (which have no silent option), as well as the remote panels (which don't have that option), etc. I read the manual, thoroughly, and I played with a lot of options. I may have missed one, so I am willing to try again. But I just don't see why they can't treat the alarm as an alarm. IMHO there is no need to chirp the alarm under any condition other than the alarm has been tripped.

Note, I live with someone who will not learn how to do complicated sequences to arm this. She will leave it off. I just wished I knew of a GE panel that didn't chirp the wired alarm under any circumstance other than fire/break-in.

ETA: The dog can tolerate the beeps on the panels, it's the chirping of the wired alarm upstairs (connected to the alarm connections on the back of the panel) which sends her into literal shakes and shivers. I can't leave it connected in good consciousness unless there is a bullet proof means for keeping it from chirping. That's why I hope I can get the panels to work right.

What is the main unit mounted by? Any wireless routers, phones, in an electrical closet, etc??
It's not immediately on top of any of those things. But it's near them in that they are in the next room on the front side of the house. Panel is back side of house one room west. But it's through a wall and 20+ feet away. I have a robust wifi implementation as well as two brands of cordless phones in the home. Do these panels use a frequency in the 2.4ghz range?

Old 11-19-13, 09:11 PM
C
Simont XT and Touch Keypad communication issues

Same problems here....

Simon XT fails to communicate with the touchpad. Main unit has been installed on 2nd floor and the keypad is by the garage door entrance. Originally, had the two way talking keypad (without touch) and it worked fine. Then it started having intermitent communication issues. Figured some went bad with the unit after 2+ year of use. Found out at the time that GE came up with a Touch keypad which only worked with version 1.3 or later. So I decided to upgrade my Simon XT panel to ver 1.4 panel and installed the talking touchpad. Same locations and the system seemed to be working fine for another year or so. Then started having same communication issues. Figured something went bad again. Just recently replaced both Simon XT and Talking keypad with new Interlogix units but the problem still stayed.
It is now that I started thinking something might have changed that have started interfering with wireless signals. My Simon XT panel was installed in a way that portion of the back is recessed in the wall. So I pulled the unit out and let it hang on the wall surface with an anchor. All of a sudden communication issues seem to have gone.
Then I came accross this thread while seaching for antenna extenders. I did move my wireless router close to the Simon XT panel a year or so ago when I first started having problems. So router in proximity plus recessed panel might have been causing the problem.
I am going to try to test the system since now I've got my panel surface mounted plus will move the router. If its works good for a week or so, then we can be sure abt the source of the problem.
Hope this helps others figure their issues out as well.

Old 02-24-14, 05:55 PM
S
Signal Strength issue solved with my Touchscreen

Hello everyone..

I had the same issue with my two way talking keypad, I remembered when I choose the position for Simon XT, simon was running only with battery backup, then when installation was finished I started having the problems, I look for everywhere in the internet but I couldn't find a solution. So I decided to try disconnection the AC Power from the Simon XT, after this my touchscreen came alive, then I stated making a lot of test and was found that the best signal quality for the touchscreen is when Simon XT is connected to the AC Power and the backup battery is out of the white plastic case from Simon XT.

What I mean is that I removed the battery from inside and attached the battery next To the panel with mounting tape. Now is running better than ever.

As overview, my house is build in concrete that was my biggest problem(2,300 sq ft), longest distance between Simon XT and Touchscreen is around 50ft but remember that is concrete house , Simon XT is located with another two internet routers inside of a wood closet.

Was amazing how the signal changes with the battery out.

Let me know if it works for you.

Best regards.