Please help to setup my security system

Old 09-03-13, 02:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help to setup my security system

Hi All,

I have following DSC system installed at the home I purchased.

DSC

I am a first time home owner and first time dealing with a security system. Old owner mentioned it was installed by a local company and that company is asking to $100+ just to come and reset the codes which sounds crazy for me. I can't get hold of the owner to obtain her code to reset it to a different code. I would appreciate if anyone could help me here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rubu15; 09-03-13 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-13, 09:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) The alarm company wants to be paid for their time to come out for service. $100 is not out of range for a service call. Industry standard is around $125+ just to walk in the door and that usually only covers the first 30 minutes.

2) I see the keypad you have, but that doesn't tell us what the system model is. Find your main alarm panel box. DSC residential panels are about 10"-12" square and beige/whitish-beige in color. Open it up and look for the sticker on the PC board. It will have a model # like PC5010, PC632/1632, PC832/1832, PC864, PC4020 to name a few. Your keypad is of the older style, the one previous to the current style so you probably have a 632, 832, or 5010 model.

3) Did you say you have a user code that works, but you need the other code (Master Code) from the old owner? Regardless of the model you have, if you have the current Master Code from the old owner you don't need anything except a User Manual and a new 4-digit code you wish to change it to. No alarm company service needed. Changing user codes is a Master Code security level, not an Installer Code security level.

**However, you have an LED type keypad which makes any programming very difficult because you can't see the programming menu options and readouts. This may be why the alarm company wants to come out. They can use the DSC software with a laptop linked to the alarm panel and have it done in less time than it takes to turn on the laptop. DSC programming is a little end-user unfriendly, even with a LCD keypad showing you the menu options. Do yourself a favor and either use the system as is if you do indeed have a valid code (if you're worried about the old owner coming in using their code, just change the locks), or invest the money for a service call. Replacing the keypad with a LCD style will cost the same $100 and then you'd still have to have the alarm company install that keypad into the system programming for another $100+ anyway.