Question on motion connections on DSC PC1832

Old 09-12-13, 08:54 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on motion connections on DSC PC1832

I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics and am trying to install a system using a DSC PC1832 and RFK5500 with Optex DX-40 dual function motions. The control panel installation manual does not specify exactly where the four wires from motion connect into the panel. I'm sure most if not all go into the same lined up series of connections that include the four keybus contacts and each is assigned to a numbered zone but exactly where does each of the four wires go? The Motion diagram indicates that two are from the power input and two from the alarm output and trouble output. Also, on these motions and other devices what determines whether you use normally open or closed and single-end-of-line resistors or double? And are the resistors just connected into the circuit standing alone (using, say, small crimp connectors) or are they incorporated inside the control panel? Finally, how do I determine which resistor to use with a given device in a zone?
Sorry if these seem like elementary school questions but, as I say, I'm new at this. And any help on this will be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-13, 02:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
On a PC1832, devices like motions and glass breaks get power from the terminals labeled AUX + & AUX -.

The zone connections go to an unused zone input and are normally wired as a NC circuit. If you are using the EOL resistors, they go in series with either leg of the zone wire, preferably at the device end of the wire.

The zone input doesn't really have a polarity, but for a few obscure technical reasons, it's best to put the resistor on the common leg side.

The 5.6 k ohm resistor is the standard one for normal zone wiring.

Old 09-12-13, 04:11 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much, Ron. So the + and - from the motion connect to the corresponding Aux + and -- and one of the two remaining wires connects to a zone (Z) contact and the other to the adjacent common (com), right? Now, the zone and common wires are connected to the Alarm terminals on the motion; does it matter which of the zone wires goes to either of the alarm contacts?

After making the initial post here, I was finally able to reach the vendor support on the phone and he said that the resistors on the zones were not really necessary. Would you agree with that, Ron? If not, when would the resistors be used? Do I need them on siren, strobe or smoke/CO detector lines?

Once again, Ron, I really, truly appreciate the help. As you can plainly see, I'd be lost without guys like you on boards like this.

Old 09-12-13, 05:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
You can, in fact, set the system for NC (normally closed) inputs, and not use the resistors at all. The resistors do provide a degree of loop supervision, and allow you to use NO (normally open) devices as well as NC, but for a simple, residential system, you don't need them.