DSC PC1832 not recognizing RFK5500 keypad

Old 11-16-13, 09:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC1832 not recognizing RFK5500 keypad

I had a well functioning alarm system with a DSC PC1832 panel. It had one PK5500 keyboard and one RFK5500 keypad. The remotes / panic buttons have never been used with the RFK5500, and they were disabled *8(IC)017 1, to be sure there were no issues with un-enrolled wireless devices. The RFK5500 was mounted near an entry door and got externally damaged (the cover cracked and cover door broke off). It still functioned perfectly. We are getting ready to sell the house and the cosmetic appearance of the keypad was unacceptable. A new housing was obtained, powered down, keypad removed, same keypad replaced, powered up, "module supervision error", and other keypad (PK5500)couldn't set alarm.
*8(IC)903 showed both keypads, the wireless receiver in the RFK5500, and the PC5900 audio module installed. The untouched keypad would not function, or arm the system. *8(IC)902 changed nothing. Disconnected the RFK5500 keypad, *8(IC)902, keypad deleted from module inventory, leaving only one keypad and the PC5900 audio modules enrolled. Existing PK5500 keypad and alarm all function perfectly. Reconnected RFK5500 keypad, PK5500 and alarm still work normally, but yellow alert flashes and beep every three seconds only on RFK 5500 keypad (and nothing else -- blank screen, acknowledges no button pushes or any other activity), no problems show on functioning PK5500. *8(IC)902, followed by 903, no enrollment of second keypad. I have moved the existing / functioning PK5500 keypad to different slots (1,2 and 8), tried making it global, then back to partition 1. I even had a spare PK5516 new in box keypad that I tried to enroll instead of the previous RFK5500, exact same problem -- failed enrollment. What am I missing? I am betting there is an easy solution / something I keep overlooking, but the frustration is intense! Please help me with any suggestions you may have. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-13, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Did you try to do these connections with the system live? Making/breaking keypad bus connections with the system "hot" can produce some erratic effects, and even can damage the motherboard.

Have you double checked the continuity of the cable between the keypad and main control?
Have you tried the keypad directly to the control with a short length of known good cable?
Is the tamper switch on the back of the keypad active in programming?

Old 11-23-13, 10:31 PM
Replacing keypads

This is my best guess to your problem...

Whenever you replace your keypad, you will need to re-enroll the new keypad in the system so it will update all of the information. Whenever you saw the new keypad trouble light blinking and the other appeared normal, it had not been programmed with the system yet.

Re-install the new keypad you want to use and make sure all your other connections to the system are good, power back on.

Enter programming *8(IC) from the NEW KEYPAD. Then enter 000 01 #
# to exit programming. Doing this from the PK5500 instead will not enroll the RFK5500. Be sure you enter programming from the new keypad in order to do this.

Now try it and see if it works.... If you have the installation manual, this is on page 29.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-13, 02:37 AM
The keypad responds to no keypresses other than the # which stops the beeping. It will not do any programming, or acknowledge any other keypress or set of key presses, and remains unrecognized by the system.

Old 11-24-13, 02:41 AM
Power was off for all the keypad juggling, could static be enough to cause a problem, and if so how do I tell? I am going to try a short piece of wire and direct connect keypad to keybus. I was waiting to get the PClink cable set up and will try the DLS2002 software as well, will make a weekend of it.

Old 11-24-13, 07:20 AM
You said you changed the slot of the PK5500? Was that while the new keypad was connected? I know they both won't work on the same slot but the default should be 00 out of the box. Try the PK5500 enter programming and do the 000, 01. then exit. Then try to do the other one 000, 02. If the keypad doesnt take the button presses then its probably a short somewhere?

Try connecting only the rfk5500 to the system and enter the programming then?

Got me stumped at the moment. If I think of anything else, I will reply again.

Old 11-24-13, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually addressing a DSC keypad with 0x will cause it to become non-responsive. 0x addresses are for "global" keypads which don't respond unless you select a partition number first. If you press and hold 1 for 2-3 seconds, does the keypad start to respond?

If so, then you need to do that, go back into programming and change the keypad to a 1x address.

Old 11-24-13, 01:38 PM
Thank you all -- Problem solved!

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. MrRonFL hit it on the head when he suggested trying a short piece of known good cable to hook the unrecognized keypad directly to the keybus. Everything worked perfectly. Broke a hole in the wall behind the old keypad location, found a really poor quality splice in the wall (how did that get past the inspector?). Fixed the splice, now the keypad works fine in its original location. Not being an installer, just working on an already established system, it would never have dawned on me to check for a wiring problem. Thank you again one and all for your time efforts and suggestions.

Old 11-24-13, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Low voltage wires, like security systems, don't really get the kind of scrutiny from inspectors that primary power circuits get. The alarm installation industry is notorious for poorly trained, poorly informed, "technicians" that get paid by the job, so they have no incentive to do much more than it takes to get the system up and running and then get out the door...

Old 11-24-13, 05:23 PM
MrRon is exactly right about the paid by job technicians, and I would fall into this category also! lol. But I do try to learn as much as possible.

The dsc panels are the most confusing ones I have ever had to program. I have had similar situations where I changed a keypad and it wouldn't work but I did assign it as a 01 address (or at least I think I did) and it worked just fine after that. Thanks for the input tho MrRon, I will have to try what you stated the next time I come across this.

The Impassa panels are a lot easier but dsc has way too many options to try to learn every single one in a 4 hour install window. Sometimes knowledge doesn't get you paid any more... I only seek knowledge of different ones for personal benefit. Thanks again!