PC1616 malfunction - siren glitch and does not contact monitoring station

Old 12-14-13, 06:58 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PC1616 malfunction - siren glitch and does not contact monitoring station

Hi everyone

DSC PC1616 with PK5516 keypad

I think I have a very rare problem that I cannot find advice anywhere. I don't think the installer or monitoring guys will be able to fix it. This is twice this has happened and WILL happen during a break in. Please help!

Again this does not happen every time and only rarely. That is the scary part.

When the backdoor (or any sensor for that matter) is opened when the system is armed, the siren does not go off completely. It starts going off and stops after a second or so (like a siren going off that suddenly dies).

When I go to the keypad, I see the corresponding zone blinking with exclamation (which means in DSC language "alarms in memory").

In both occasions, I did not enter the code to clear the system, the lights were blinking. I waited for a call from the monitoring company, and did not receive any call.

When I called them, the told me they received no alarm signal or notification!

What is interesting is why is the siren not going off completely? It stops after a second. That leads me to believe it is NOT the monitoring company's problem.

What could be going on?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 09:14 AM
T
Two different problems. Most likely unrelated. Diagnose separately. Panel is probably on its way out. Did you try '*2'? Are you sure a phone line is connected?

Do you have a warranty through monitoring company?

Old 12-14-13, 11:53 AM
F
I have an uplink 4500EZ GSM communicator, no phone lines. Sorry I should have mentioned that.

BTW I don't think there are 2 problems here. Because whenever the siren malfunctions, I don't get a call from the security company. However when the siren works, they call me. So there could be only one problem.

Old 12-14-13, 05:50 PM
T
That Uplink is probably wired to the bell output on your panel. If there is a way to set the Uplink so that it has no delay [if it's not already set that way] then you may be fine, for now. Have a technician look at it -- though troubleshooting an intermittent problem is usually unproductive. If you have any troubleshooting tools/skills you may want to try it yourself.

Still think your panel may be the issue.

Old 12-14-13, 10:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
You may simply have a failed siren that is drawing too much current, so the system shuts down the output on current overload.

A weak system battery can do this, as well, because these systems rely on the backup battery to balance the initial siren load surge. (yes, it can be too weak to balance the load, without throwing a low battery indication).

Old 12-15-13, 05:02 PM
F
Great inputs guys! Whatever your are suggesting makes sense.

I like the input of having no delay but need to check if the security company can do that.

About the failed Siren, if the siren failed how can it work normal ~80% of the time? I assume you mean the current draw is at the threshold point which causes it to fail ~20% of the time.

I was thinking of a high current draw as well?

Would adding a resistor to the red wire work? Thanks...

Old 12-15-13, 07:03 PM
F
Just realized, adding resistor may not work, it will limit current but probably not the current draw.. It may actually make the issue worse. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The installers used 22 gauge wire. I just saw this.

Could 22 gauge wire be a problem?

Old 12-16-13, 05:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The output has a 700mA UL continuous limit, and a max of 2A before the PTC shuts the system down. Note that this 2A total includes all of the things pulling power from the system (keypads, smokes, sirens, etc.).

Old 12-16-13, 05:37 PM
F
Interesting development.

I opened up the Siren and found that all remaining wires (1 red, 2 yellow, 1 black) were left without insulation and the tips were exposed and touching each other. Bad work by installers.

I did a quick test with a 9V battery (actually 6 AA in series) and found that when these loose wires touched each other, the siren did not work (short).

I insulated the tips and installed the Siren. So far so good. Seems to work like it is supposed too.

What is interesting:

The monitoring company did not call me when I took the siren out. I have a uplink communicator BTW. Aren't they supposed to?

The PC1616 did not show any trouble condition too without Siren. Is that normal?

Old 12-17-13, 08:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For these systems, siren supervision is a feature that is not enabled by default, nor is siren fault reporting.

Old 12-28-13, 07:40 PM
the 4500EZ is a bad choice, as it only reports the signal from the siren.

burg or fire.

it does have 3 inputs that can be sent, but its not going to report a siren tamper or low battery.

it was really only made as a back up to a cut telephone line.