Running Wire For Keypad

Old 01-14-14, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running Wire For Keypad

I know somebody who would like a wall mount keypad put in near their front door for their security alarm, however they do not want to pay the local telco company who originally installed it $100/hr to do it. Running the cable isn't an issue (t bar basement ceilings are the greatest!) but I am not sure where to run the cable or what kind (I want to say a 4c #22).
There is no cabinet in the house. There is some wiring done where the telco line comes in at the service panel. The keypad and horn are in a large white box (all in one assembly) upstairs in the kitchen. Would a secondary keypad be ran to this box?
Also, I've never installed a keypad and know very little about security systems. Is this something I could install and program myself, or would I be better off just running the cable and letting the telco guys do the keypad?

Old 01-14-14, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Is that cabinet locked ?

It sounds like that's the control box.
4c #22 is fine for a keypad.

As far as the actual connection and programming.... you'd need to know what brand and model the system is. It may be listed inside the control box.

Old 01-14-14, 06:04 PM
There is no cabinet in the house, just the box.
I can take a look this weekend for the brand and number.
But is this box where I would run a second keypad from? I've only ever seen cabinets housing all the connections. Never a box like this.

Old 01-14-14, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Without seeing it..... I don't know.
So at this point you don't even know if you can connect a second keypad to that system.

Old 01-15-14, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If this is an all-in-one (Lynx or Simon, or similar) then running an additional hardwire keypad is not actually an option.

Old 01-15-14, 03:14 PM
One of the reps from the telco company told him he could add one but it would cost him for the labor.
I will snap a couple photos this weekend and take a look at where his motion and door sensors run.

Old 01-19-14, 01:23 PM
So we scoped out the house again today.
The all in one unit only has power and a phone cord attached. We searched the house high and low for a cabinet and found nothing, so I'm thinking the telco company did something stupid like toss everything in the attic.
One day if he decides to crawl up there and finds where his sensors are running to, I will consult this forum again.
Thanks anyways guys!

Old 01-19-14, 05:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Brand and model will help.

Seriously, you are wasting your time. If this has the siren and keypad built in, and the phone line plugs in directly; this _is_ the system, and a hardwire keypad is not an option.

Old 01-19-14, 05:59 PM
I'm inclined to believe you over a telco rep, but where would the sensors be wired in if this is all there is to it?
Again, my security knowledge only goes as far as "everything runs in and out of a cabinet".

Old 01-20-14, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
This style system is all wireless. There _might_ be 1 hardwired contact, but it's unlikely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: