DSC 1832 new home owner no codes -help

Old 02-13-14, 12:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 1832 new home owner no codes -help

Hello I'd like to set up my alarm system and have many questions.

Currently I have an DSC 1832 system that does not have any codes- they were all lost, no installer codes either (*5555 does not work).
What's the best way to get the system working again? A)Default settings or B) install new board from ebay for $50? I'm a noob but fairly tech savvy.
If A) Is there only one North American version of the 1832? Do I need to match a version?
If B) all I need is the manual right?

If I upgraded the "simple" LCD panel to an led touchscreen display (if feasible) would it make the programming for a noob easier?

Please help.
Thanks
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 02:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
It's going to be equal amounts of work to program from scratch, so it's worth trying a default before you buy new hardware. If it turns out to be installer lockout set, then get a replacement motherboard.

The 5500 LCD keypad will be much easier to program with than the 5501 fixed language display. The touchscreen keypad offers no special advantage.

Just get the most current version, they are all backward compatible.

Old 02-13-14, 10:15 AM
B
I will try to default first!
Turns out I already have LCD 5500Z keypad.
Many thanks- I really appreciate the help as this is the big hurdle before I move in.

Last edited by boenmoen; 02-13-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-14-14, 02:10 PM
B
Default worked!
Thanks all. Now it's time to do the grueling programming.
All zones seem to be open and only 8zones but I noticed there's an ext board.
so I guess I'll need to program that in.
Luckily the installer left the layout sheet with zones in the box so I'll follow that.

Old 02-14-14, 10:48 PM
B
next step?

I've started reprogramming and finished only the zoning.
What should I do next? Partition?
There's 4 keypads and 3 partitions, main area, son's suite, gramda's suite.
I have the installer's manual but not sure where to begin since it's a rather thick booklet.
Thanks again.

Old 02-15-14, 02:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If your goal is to have each of those areas operate independently, then you would assign the keypad and zones in that area to the partition. Each partition would get it's own code(s), with your main master code working all of them.

It's not super difficult, it's just a lot of things to keep track of while you are doing the set up.

Old 02-15-14, 10:29 PM
B
Yes Thanks MrRonFL, I spent about 2-3hrs today trying to assign partitions and zones using the reference manual and installation guide. I have a very good idea what I need to accomplish but could not find the instructions for them.
One part I didn't understand was "section 210- section 217" is equivalent to zones 1 through 8?
I also wanted to "add" through programming an ext board as I have 16zones, but I'm not sure the main board sees this.
I also could not add two more keypads as there are 4 in the residence.
It may be a bit much to ask for the exact steps to follow but could you direct me to the page# (section #) of the relative manual? I'm still trying to save that couple hundred $$ from asking a tech to do this.
Thanks again.

Old 02-16-14, 09:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.gargoylesecurity.com/Down...STALLATION.pdf

The expansion module should already be functional.

When you default, only the first 8 zones are automatically provided with zone types. Once you set the zone types, in programming location 001, the zones should be operational (assuming you didn't try to change any of the expander's dipswitches).

*8 installer code
001 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx (xx being the zone type for the first 16 zones, in order)
Press # to exit programming.

To assign zones to a partition, you turn on and off the option corresponding to that zone in the partition programming locations. For example: If you want zones 9, 10, and 11 to be in partition 2; you go to programming location 211 and turn on the first 3 options.

Assigning keypads to a partition is done at the individual keypad. When you set the keypad address, the first digit of the address controls which partition it's assigned to. (11 assigns keypad 1 to partition 1; 23 assigns keypad 3 to partition 2, for example)

Carefully read over the section of the manual titled "Advanced Keypad Programming".

Old 02-17-14, 09:53 PM
B
Thanks MrRon,
I'm away from home now and haven't tried your steps yet (though I had figured out the zone type previously =) ).
The zones are all currently open. Is this normal?
Thanks
Will update once I get home in the weekend.

Old 02-18-14, 02:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Are end of line resistors installed on your system? If not, the original installer probably turned off the requirement by turning ON option 1 in programming location 15.

Old 02-20-14, 12:51 PM
B
I read about EOLs and am not sure if they've been installed.
I had already defaulted and will toggle that setting and check.
Thanks

Old 03-01-14, 08:42 PM
B
so I've gotten the authentic to partially work. Windows set off the alarm but the exit door doesn't. I can enter and exit and the panel will just display "stay armed" and not set off the alarm. It's currently set at 1 for standard delay, so which am I to choose?

Old 03-01-14, 09:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you waiting long enough for the exit delay to time out? That arming delay runs in _all_ arming modes, including stay and instant.

Old 03-01-14, 11:41 PM
B
The manual says 2mins is default and I do hear the 10second quick chirp countdown.
I open the open and close the door to exit. I come back after 2mins and the panel does not prompt for a disarm (usually prompted by a long beep with my parent's system). I've waited even longer but nothing changes.

I can enter/exit as if it were disarmed but the windows with option 03 -(instant) would trigger the alarm just fine.

Just for reference:
-exit door zone is hooked up to front and back doors.
-door does correlate to respective zone.
exit door is option 1-delay1
my motion sensors are option 4-interior
windows option 03-instant
EOL is set at 1 because 2 didn't work and not setting 1 nor 2 cause all zones to be open.
The new keypad also says "gen sys supv" - reading up on this right now, will try 902 tomorrow.

Last edited by boenmoen; 03-02-14 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-02-14, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Simple test: Does the door(s) chime when you open and close them with the chime feature on? Do the zones actually show an open zone indication when open?

Have you double checked that the zones are correctly programmed, _and_ are on the same partition as the keypad you are using?

When you programmed the zone types, did you remember to put that leading zero in the zone type ("01" not "1")

When you installed the zone resistors, did you put them in _series_ with one leg of the zone wires (correct), or did you put them in parallel across the pair of zone wires (incorrect)?

Old 03-02-14, 08:18 AM
B
Yes both doors chime. Zone shows up as 3 when door is open.
I have not allocated partitions yet- (though there are 4 keypads).
Yes zone types are correct- as the windows do work and I have a keypad LCD alphanumeric text.

I did not install the alarm system (except one new keypad) so do not know the answer about the resistors. - I guess I can always put a ohmmeter and check?

Old 03-02-14, 07:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the zone chimes, and shows open and closed, then there is no need to check the resistors.

At this point, without seeing what you are doing when you arm the system, and without checking the zone types myself, I have nothing to offer.

If the zone is correctly programmed, when you arm the system, whether in stay or away mode, then opening the entry/exit zone should sound the entry delay warning tone.

Old 03-02-14, 08:59 PM
B
I guess we can rule out the board isn't faulty since there's no trouble code depicting so.
I'll program the zone with definition 1-instant and see what happens, or I'll swap the wiring with another zone, reprogram the relative definitions and see if that leads anywhere.
Thanks for the effort MrRon.

Old 03-03-14, 08:07 PM
B
problem fixed, proplem found.

So I got it working, though operation is slightly off normal. I'll start another thread as it's a different topic.
But the solution to the strange no alarm prompt during enter was because I had used the same code for installer and maintenance. Hence somehow I was in maintenance, which I didn't clue into when the motions chirped when I walked by. Which also explains why the green light stayed on even when a door was open.
Sorry for the wild goose chase. I guess not many people use the maintenance mode... learn something new everyday. Onwards to the next problem.