Simon XT sensor problems

Old 02-18-14, 09:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Simon XT sensor problems

I've had a Simon XT for a while and have several issues with the sensors. I live near the beach so corrosion may be an issue.
Problem 1: Some door/window sensors will show OK but when testing will not trigger on opening the door/window. These are the larger GE 60-362-10-319-5 sensors for the smaller micro contacts I used to have died like flies. Safemart suggests tapping on the microswitch (reed) but that seems kind of a stupid way to keep a sensor working. This happens with doors/windows that are not opened often. I run a system test every month or so.

2. Yesterday I replaced the batteries on all the sensors in the hope that that will help with problem 1 and a Motion (wireless detector SAW PIR 60-807-95R) that was working just fine just died when I replaced the batteries. I got a sensor failure on the panel. I tried deleting and re- signing on the sensor with no success. I replaced the new batteries with the old ones but the sensor remains dead.

Thanks for any insight you can provide...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-14, 06:17 PM
G
What's the error message you are getting? "Low battery" or "sensor failure"?

The former is just that, a low battery,,,the latter is a range issue (and changing batteries or tapping on reed switches is futile)...

I would take the transmitter closer to the panel (take the circuit board out of the plastic housing if you can't remove the plastic) and run the sensor test...do they respond? At least you'll know of the sensor is working...

I'm assuming these sensors worked at some point in the past??

Move the panel closer to the sensors (if possible), or add a repeater..

Old 02-19-14, 05:11 AM
J
Thanks, All the sensors worked fine in the past. The issue started surfacing about a year and a half after the system was installed. There is no error on the panel, the sensor will just not trip though it reports OK to the panel when you remove the cover. Tapping the reed switch helps but they are back to the condition after about 2 weeks. This happens with sensors close to the panel and also some that are not so close so I don't think is a distance to the panel issue. I've seen the same issue with 2 other houses nearby with the same Simon system.

Regarding the motion sensor, this just died when I replaced the batteries (was working fine even when I removed it to replace the batteries).