Selling home, need to get alarm system working again. DSC 1555mx, DSC 5508

Old 02-21-14, 02:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Selling home, need to get alarm system working again. DSC 1555mx, DSC 5508

A few years ago I had some power outtages and for whatever reason my alarm system stopped working. Memory light on, all 8 zones lit up. Also, when the power would go out the alarm would go off.. making chirping noises.

Zones 1-6 will go off if I open and close all of the doors and windows but 7 and 8 would always stay on.

Just want to add that sometimes when the power goes off again it sometimes fixes itself for a while.

Fast forward to today I have Memory light on as well as zone 7.

Went out and purchased a new battery thinking that might be the problem, but it didn't help.

I called the alarm company listed and they want to charge me $105 to come out and look at it so obviously I hope I can get some help here.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 04:41 PM
T
arm, then immediately disarm system -- memory light should disappear.

check whatever is on zone 7 and make sure it is functioning.

trouble light not on?

edit: $105 doesn't sound too bad unless that is just to get the truck rolling. if that includes time [at least 30 minutes] onsite, you might consider giving them another call.

Old 02-21-14, 06:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
It helps when you know what you are dealing with. Here's the installation manual: http://www.mainelectronics.com/pdf/PC1555Install.pdf

First, you need to identify what zones are what. More than likely, you simply have a couple of door or window contacts that have failed in the open position, or have lost their magnets.

Old 02-21-14, 06:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Why fix the alarm if your selling the house? What am I missing. Is that really a make or break feature when selling a house? Or don't you have independently wired smoke alarms?

Old 02-21-14, 08:21 PM
D
Wink

Thanks for the responses guys!

First off, for whatever reason I can't arm the system as it is right now. The trouble light was on initially, but when I called the installer to troubleshoot they told me press a combination of buttons and it got rid of the trouble light and the solid 8. When I do try to arm it I get the initial beep and then a longer beep. Not sure if that means anything.

I've got all of the zones figured out as the installer has them mapped out. 1-6 are all of the windows/outer doors. 7 and 8 aren't tied to any specific zone that I'm aware of.. Unless 7 is tied to the smoke detectors.

1- Front
2- Interior Garage
3- Patio
4- Exterior Garage
5- Master Windows
6- All other Windows

I've gone through every door and window in the house and all of them are on 1-6.

As to why fix it.. I'm already in the process of building another house and I don't want anything, even something as minor as this, to affect the sale of this house. Plus when it does sell I'm sure the inspector or the buyer will ask me to fix it anyway. Might as well get ahead of the game.

Old 02-22-14, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
That long beep either means that you don't have a ready light (open zone) or you are using a code that's not right.

That list makes sense. The 1555 is a 6 zone system that can be expanded to up to 32. If there were smokes on the system, they would be connected to the PGM connection, which isn't a normal zone, it would show as a fire zone/fire trouble.

There is a way to connect a contact to an input on one of the keypads, but it's unlikely, in your case (the zone would be listed)

What probably happened, initially, is that the system ran on a weak battery when the power failed, and that can (on this model) sometimes cause the programming to get a little corrupted.

Typically, in home sales, the condition of the security system isn't something the home inspectors touch on (the new home with no alarm code question is really common, on these forums).

Old 02-22-14, 06:01 AM
D
Thanks Ron! Guess I'll wait for the tech to come and fix it.

Old 02-22-14, 07:16 AM
T
If you get a technician out to look at it, be sure to tell them the model number of the system [DSC 1555] and ask for someone who is familiar with it -- it is an older system [though popular] and it sounds like this is more than just tracking down a rogue sensor and fixing it.

I understand the desire to get it operational as a selling point -- it makes sense.

If you can open up the panel:
- see if the installer left any paperwork (or writing on the door) that may tell you what the sensor is.
- pop the keypad off the wall [screw on underside] and see if there is more than just a four-conductor wire connected to it.

Old 02-22-14, 12:59 PM
D
Yeah he did leave writing as to what zone is what. 7 and 8 aren't listed.

Last edited by du22ty; 02-22-14 at 02:51 PM.