Replacing old keypad or whole system?

Old 02-21-14, 05:27 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old keypad or whole system?

I've got an old Ademco 4140XMP installed in 1992. This system was installed by our alarm company, which is now Protection One. We are thinking about cancelling the support and just running the system without a monitor. We are not on a maintenance plan.

One or another keypad has been randomly beeping. We thought it was the battery, which was about 10 years old. Replaced it, and thought the problem was fixed, but occasionally the keypad starts randomly beeping. When this happens the keypad keys are unusable. Later the keypad will be working fine. It also seems to happen when it is windy, maybe unrelated.

The keypad is an old Ademco 4137. We have two of these, and also a 3rd Honeywell 6150PL2, which replaced one of the older Ademco keypads years ago.

My questions are. What keypad can I use to replace the 4137. Obviously the 6150PL2 should work, but maybe there is something better or maybe just the straight 6150. Will I have to reprogram anything for the new keypad to be accepted?

Or should I just buy an entire new system? I would rather replace both of the old keypads and later if need to I can replace the old Ademco 4140XMP with something like the Honeywell Vista 20P.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-14, 06:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
To be frank, this is a 22 year old piece of electronics that has been in continuous operation. My bet would be to start over with a current model, like the 20p that will probably have more modern features that you will like.

Old 02-21-14, 06:22 PM
T
It all boils down to your comfort level.

easiest to replace keypads but if that isn't the issue then your back to square one [less a few $].
If hardwired and current sensors are fine, you might consider buying a kit [possibly with RF capability] and a 6160 keypad for programming.

Too little info [and difficult] to diagnose.

Old 02-22-14, 06:38 AM
K
thanks for the responses. My main reluctance to buying a whole new system is the time to get it up and running. I was thinking that maybe I should buy a 6160 keypad so that it could be reused with a 20P, and if that goes ok, another 6150 to replace the other old keypad.

Is there any difference between the 6150 and 6150PL2 that would matter for my system? Do you think the 6150, 6150PL2, and 6160 would all work with my system?

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back as I migrate to a whole new system.

Mike

Old 02-22-14, 06:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
No, that "PL2" just means that it was modified to have the Protection 1 logo and default messages. A standard 6150/6160 should work just fine.