ADT siren doesn't go off when on "stay"

Old 02-23-14, 08:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT siren doesn't go off when on "stay"

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I have an ADT system and when I arm it in "stay" mode I notice that if a door is opened, the siren never goes off.....even after a minute or 2. It will go off if set on "instant". I called ADT and asked what's up, I was told they'd need to send a tech out to program the system to do what I want it to do at a cost (forgot how much). Does anyone know of a way to tell the system to trigger the siren after "X" amount of time.

Again thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-14, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
System model needed. The answer will vary depending on system model.

Old 02-24-14, 05:32 AM
S
Where would I find the system model??

Old 02-24-14, 07:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have a typical system with keypad(s), the system model will be on the wiring diagram on the inside of the door of the metal enclosure with the battery and motherboard.

If you have a system that's an All-in-one, that will be a specific model in, and of itself.

Old 02-24-14, 11:39 AM
S
It says,

ADEMCO Vista-20P / 20PSIA / 15P / 15PSIA Series

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-14, 04:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, Vista 20p. A common user error with these Honeywell/Ademco panels is that people don't realize that the exit delay still counts down in _all_ arming modes, including stay. Depending on the length of the arming delay, it can feel like a really long time.

Unless the zone(s) in question got programmed as interior zones, and it's highly unlikely that they are, I think you are having a user error, not a hardware or configuration issue.

Simple test; turn on the chime feature. Do all of the perimeter zones chime?
If yes, then that means the contact is good, and the programming is 99% likely to be correct.

Since it sounds like you have limited experience with this system, take a look at the user manual: http://www.security.honeywell.com/do...a15p_20pUM.pdf
and the Installer manual: http://www.alarmeengros.com/installation15P.pdf

Old 02-24-14, 08:48 PM
S
I think I need to clarify a little more. When I activate the alarm using "instant" and someone opens a door or window, the alarm siren starts wailing instantly.....that's why it's called instant. I get it. But, when I activate the alarm using "stay" and I open the door or window (after the countdown and alarm is armed) the unit beeps like it's supposed to BUT, the siren doesn't go off. The unit just continues to beep until either the police show up or I enter the code. I want the siren to go off after 30 or 60 seconds. I plan on reading the link you sent me and thanks again in advance if you can answer the above question.

Old 02-25-14, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Once you are past the arming delay, opening a perimeter zone should be an instant alarm regardless of whether you are armed in stay, away, or instant. There is no zone configuration that is a silent alarm in stay arming (short of someone making a custom zone type). Especially if this has operated normally, in the past.

If you are showing an alarm indication on the keypad, but the siren isn't sounding, it's more likely a symptom of a failing backup battery.

Vista panels rely heavily on the battery to drive the siren, and if yours is more than 4-5 years old, it may be borderline enough to work once or twice, but not show a low battery indication.

Basically, it's not likely a "programming" issue, it's probably hardware (given the more detailed description), because programming does not change spontaneously.