Possibly changing keypads in GE Networx NX-6V2 system. Is it a ton of work?

Old 02-25-14, 03:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possibly changing keypads in GE Networx NX-6V2 system. Is it a ton of work?

We just bought a house with a Networx NX-6V2 system. The keypads look like the NX-1308. No lcd display. Just zone numbers.
I would like to change displays to NX-1448E-RF so we would actually see which zones we have as well as have remote key fob disarming.

I have not checked yet to see if we have the programming code. If we do, is it a relatively easy swap, or do we need to do a whole new setup and addressing for keypads?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 08:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
It's an easy swap, mechanically, but you do need the installer code to set the address for the keypad (though the default address _should_ work); and to access programming to program in your zone descriptions.

Just remember to power down before you make the swap (no, you will not lose system programming).

Old 02-26-14, 08:05 AM
G
And you'll have to program the RF keyfobs as well

Old 02-26-14, 09:21 AM
D
How will I know that I have correct programmer code? When I put in *8 9713, it just says that lights should flash. Which lights?

Old 02-26-14, 01:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
From the installer manual: http://download.homesecuritystore.co...n%20Manual.pdf

"ENTERING THE PROGRAM MODE
To enter the Program Mode, press[*]-[8]. At this time, the five function LEDs (Stay, Chime, Exit, Bypass, & Cancel) will begin to flash.
Next, enter the "Go To Program Code" (FACTORY DEFAULT IS [9]-[7]-[1]-[3]). If the "Go To Program Code" is valid, the "Service" LED
will flash and the five function LEDs will illuminate steady. You are now in the Program Mode and ready to select the module to program."

Old 02-26-14, 05:08 PM
D
Didn't work. Will have to see if I can figure out their code. Probably the last 4 # of their phone #. I would like to replace keypads with alphanumeric lcd, but if I could not, I would like to customize ours. One is in the master BR. I would rather that one not sound when someone enters the house (before it is disarmed). I would be happy if just the entry from the garage sounded when the system was atrmed and someone entered and not the master BR.

Old 02-27-14, 09:32 AM
D
I had taken down the master bedroom keypad without powering down system (my bad) so painter could paint. Anyways, before I reinstalled it, I unplugged battery as well as adapter plug to panel. When I turned everything back on, I first got a beep and zones 3 and 4 flashed for a while before going out. After a couple of minutes, everything seemed to operate fine. The service light, which has been on since we bought the house is now out. I had thought it was because there is no phone monitoring, but what could it be that would clear by powering down system?

Old 02-27-14, 06:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Without knowing what trouble was on the system (normally displayed by pressing *2), it's hard to say.

If it was a failure to communicate, then the trouble will stay clear until the next alarm or trouble that would normally activate the communicator.

Page 15 of the user manual:
https://paladinsecurity.com/download...anuals/NX6.pdf

Old 02-28-14, 03:12 AM
D
That makes sense. I tried multiple different programmer codes (last 4 digits of installer phone, address, etc). No go. I may just start at 0001 and do 100 a day til I hit it. I would assume that if I hit *8 0001 and the lights don't go steady, I hit # and then go to *8 0002? Do I need to hit # in between tries?

Old 02-28-14, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the # key is essentially "clear". Short of having access to the DL900 software _and_ a direct connect module, your "brute force" approach is about all you have to use...

Old 02-28-14, 05:42 AM
D
I timed myself. I can put in around 36 codes per min. If i spend 10 min per day, i would have all codes put in within less than a month. That is assuming i don't hit it much earlier

Old 03-11-14, 08:51 AM
D
One question I have is when I do hit the correct installer code, how long before flashing lights go solid? Is it pretty much instantaneous? I am about 15% there with combos but don't want to hit # key too quickly before lights have a chance to go solid. Thanks

Old 03-15-14, 09:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's pretty close to instant.

Old 03-17-14, 10:28 AM
D
OK. I hit the programmer code! When the service light started flashing, i hit the # key a couple times and it beeped at me. I then went through the manual and saw i was supposed to hit exit key a couple times and everything seems fine.
I want to add a wireless module and key fobs and maybe change out panels to ones with alphanumeric displays. Would there be any advanced programming involved in this? Thanks again