Best Wired/Wireless Hybrid Systems? Upgrading from Radionics D4112

Old 03-03-14, 09:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Wired/Wireless Hybrid Systems? Upgrading from Radionics D4112

We have a Radionics D4112 Security system that was installed in 1995. I am looking to upgrade, but I am hesitant to call a local security store because I fear they will just try to sell me something I donít need.

I want to take advantage of the sensors that are already hard wired throughout the house, rather than setting up new wireless zones everywhere. The best new security systems are all completely wireless, so Iím hoping someone here will have some advice on a good hybrid system.

My main goal is to use this as a burglar/perimeter breach notification system. My wish list includes:
  • Hybrid system Ė use the existing wires and add new wireless items.
  • Notification of perimeter breach (our current system is set so the keypad emits a loud Ďbeepí when a door or window is opened, which is perfect. This is very important.)
  • Additional wireless keypad that I can keep upstairs with me at night.
  • Ability to connect via iPhone app and monitor perimeter status.
  • Notification of breach via text or phone call from system to my cell.
  • No outside monitoring required.

Optional items
  • DIY Installation would be nice, but Iím not opposed to paying someone to come install it.
  • ē We do have the smoke alarms wired in, and notification of those going off would be helpful as well, but not as big of a priority for me.

Iím looking at both the Honeywell and DSC systems, but I canít seem to find good info on what system will work best for my needs. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-03-14, 01:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
For what you are asking for, the Honeywell/Ademco Vista panels are your best bet.

Some of the features you want (texting, emails, and the like), are dependent on subscription to a service (this it true of _all _ brands).

Old 04-14-14, 12:10 PM
I
Any luck finding a replacement?

Any luck finding a replacement? I am also looking for a Radionics replacement, but for a Radionics D222 and D2212. My wish list is about the same as yours.

Old 05-13-14, 11:00 AM
D
Update - we ended working with Alarm Grid (https://www.alarmgrid.com/) and replacing the system with a Honewell Wired to Wireless Converter 5800C2W and the Lynx Touch 5100 Control Panel. I installed the ZWave module in the control panel, which we are using to run a new Zwave lock on our back door. Works great!

There was also an option to use a VISTA-21iP security system (https://www.alarmgrid.com/products/honeywell-vista-21ip). It allows for 8 wired zones out of the box and can support up to 40 additional zones with wireless or wired expansion modules. But the Lynx Touch/5800C2W was a better option for us. You can't use the built in siren with our setup, which was one drawback. I had to buy a new wireless siren.

Some of our wired sensors were not working and had to be replaced, but Alarm Grid helped us find the exact replacement and it was very easy. Hope this helps someone else! It is great to have an upgraded, working alarm system again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: