DSC 5010 Home Alarm Panel - short in fire / smoke detector alarm wiring

Old 03-03-14, 11:58 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 5010 Home Alarm Panel - short in fire / smoke detector alarm wiring

Hello. I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

The problem began when a tech from my TV/Internet cable company ran a coax in my attic to my alarm panel (my plan was to connect a router to the coax, ethernet cable b/w the router and an EnvisaLink 3, which I will install on the DSC 5010).

However, it appears that the cable/coax technician shorted one of the smoke detector wires. The alarm sounded when he was in the attic (the pattern of the alarm was different than the alarm that sounds when a door is opened). I was able turn the alarm off with my master code.

When I press *2, Fire is lighted on the keypad. But holding reset for 3 seconds does not reset the light. And the system won't arm. In other words, FIRE stays lit.

I powered the system down/unplugged AC power and battery. THe system appeared to come back up normally but then the ALARM sounded again within a minute or two in the pattern of the fire alarm. I turned the alarm off again with my master code. Again, holding reset for 3 seconds does not reset. And the system still won't arm.

My research leads me to believe the coax tech broke or burned or shorted one of the smoke detector wires.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:
1) until I find and fix this short, how can I reprogram the DSC 5010 to arm for at least the door/window sensors?
2) How can I figure out which input/output are used for the fire circuit? Is one standard?

More info:
- The DSC 5010 has worked well for many years. The alarm light has been on because the phone line it's connected to is not active.
- When I press *2, 4 & 8 light up, but those are not the issue. I fixed 8 by programming the time/date.
- 4 is on b/c the phone line is disconnected by intent.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-14, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
It sounds like he stepped on a smoke detector loop cable and crushed it enough to create a short. You will probably have to figure out where he was moving around and pull a new cable from the panel to the first smoke detector (the most likely stretch of cable damaged.

If they used 2-wire smokes, your smokes are connected to the PGM-2 and ground. If so, you can clear the alarm, for now, by taking those wires loose and replacing them with a 2.2k ohm resistor (red, red, red for the first three stripes).

That will allow you to reset the system until you replace the damaged cable.

Old 03-06-14, 09:47 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MrRonFL - Thank you - your input was very helpful.

We found a short b/w the closest smoke detector and the panel. Replaced the wire. All good.

In case useful to someone else, I learned that the traditional smoke detectors with the battery backups are not connected to the alarm system. Only the "other" kind of smoke/fire detectors are connected.