GEM-P3200: speaker or siren?

Old 03-07-14, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GEM-P3200: speaker or siren?

I have a Napco GEM-P3200. The "sound device" (not sure if speaker or siren) is located in a rusting metal box in a front corner of my house. I was thinking of replacing the rusting metal box, but now I wonder if I could replace the whole mess with something like an Ademco 748 or 749, which would solve the box problem and give me a nice small profile. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I have a siren or speaker - or if it matters. I can't get to the horn until the snow melts, which might not be until August at the rate we're going!

Is there any way for me to tell what I have by looking at the 3200 box? Other clues? If I have a speaker, can I put in a siren or vice/versa?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-14, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
It's going to be a siren. The way to double check is to look at the wiring diagram on the door of the enclosure. It will indicate a voltage output instead of an Ohm value for a speaker.

This system is old enough that the large enclosure probably once held an actual bell...

Old 03-07-14, 07:46 PM
Well, not that old! 1995. No bells! I did find the installation manual online and it indicates 12V. I will double-check with the wiring diagram inside the box, but it looks like I have what I need to know. Thanks.

Old 03-08-14, 04:21 AM
Box diagram shows 12V as well. What's throwing me is that I have indoor boxes (were installed when I upgraded system to include heat sensors). I took the cover off one and it's a GS-402, and the label indicates "8 ohms." That's what got me thinking that the outdoor horns are speakers.

However, I trust your expertise. That's why I asked in the first place.

Old 03-08-14, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
The following is an excerpt right from the install manual.

Name:  gem.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  26.6 KB