New to home security systems...head spinning.

Old 03-24-14, 08:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New to home security systems...head spinning.

Protect America
Frontpoint
Simplisafe
Safemart.
Bob endorses this
NBC endorses that.
Dave endorses thus...
OMG>>>>this is crazy!!
I thought trading cars was difficult.
You can't trust any of these guys.
Ridiculous and disappointing to say the least.
Contracts, no contracts.
Smash and mash technology.

We live remotely in the country. 3 doors, several windows, want fire, motion sensors, carbon monoxide detector. Keeping it simple.
They all seem pretty cool but same...
in a different way. lol..
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 02:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Any of the major brands like Honeywell/Ademco; DSC, GE/UTC (Concord or Networx); etc. will work just fine. Alarms are a pretty mature technology, there's really not a huge difference from brand to brand. It's mostly small feature differences.

The value of monitoring depends on your circumstances (how good is the local emergency service response? Is your concern property protection or lift-safety?

In general, I am not a fan of All-in-one units. In order to get the equivalent functionality of a "split" system, you have to add enough extra parts and work, that you might have well done the work of running the wires needed for the regular models.

Old 03-25-14, 08:11 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
In general, stay away from anyone offering a "Free", "$99.00" or any other such nonsense. These companies are not in the security business .... They're in the "recurring revenue" business. They want that monthly payment from you and will usually suggest the least expensive ( ie least secure) installation so that they can meet their daily quota of installations. Security for you is not important.

As mentioned, if you plan on doing it yourself, choose the major brands but be prepared to go through a learning curve. The instructions on the better equipment presume you're a professional and know the basic, so you will have to read and go to various DIY groups to ask questions. Generally any equipment or systems that you buy off the Internet that provide you with step by step instructions will probably wind up in the trash within a year.

Old 03-26-14, 01:16 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Generally any equipment or systems that you buy off the Internet that provide you with step by step instructions will probably wind up in the trash within a year.
I totally disagree. Most, if not all, of the major manufacturer's products are available through Internet resellers. Every part of my Honeywell/Ademco Vista 15P system I bought off of the Internet.

Old 03-27-14, 05:47 AM
D
Hi, I'm considering Simplisafe, the one that's on sale for $199.00 today..the SimpliSafe SSCS2 Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security Starter Pack

I read reviews where T mobile is the carrier for Simplisafe. we have Verizon and live in a rural area. I'm not sure if T mobile is even in this area.
And, although it's rare, a cell signal can be dropped here. Normally we are fine. But, I don't want to buy something (that I can't use with any other services) and just have problems with it.

Can anyone tell me if there would be a problem with Verizon?? And living in a rural area??
Thanks!
Mark

Old 01-01-15, 04:53 PM
D
To followup...Simplisafe was cheap and we sent it back. Have another DIY company that we've been very happy with since April.

Old 01-01-15, 05:16 PM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I just received SimpliSafe as a gift from my daughter. She has it and loves it. I heard many others praise it. Out of all the systems out there I think SimpliSafe is the best. True, no one system will be perfect, but if you add and compare all the features SimpliSafe is by far the winner. I don't understand what you can't like about it. It's cheap in price only not components. As far as coverage goes, its up to you to design how much you want and tailor it to your needs. The best part is no contract and you have complete customization any time you want without additional cost. And you can take it with you when you move. I hear many threads on this forum about those people who have moved into a house with an ADT or Wells Fargo system and want to know how to dis-arm it or arm it or change it or whatever and can't without incurring a charge and made to sign a contract. Both my son-in-law and son are into IT systems and they both agree that the SimpliSafe system is a good choice for a home system.

And just as a true to life testimonial, my daughter in fact had a incident with a possible break-in. The alarm went off about several minutes after she and her husband left for work. The call came through and they found out they left the door open in the basement and the cat set it off. Point being, it works.