Honeywell IS2500LT PIR Motion Detector Questions,,,

Old 03-25-14, 01:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell IS2500LT PIR Motion Detector Questions,,,

Below are the installation instructions:
http://site.geoarm.com/pdfs/Honeywel...tall-guide.pdf

It shows installation with 4 wires; 2 each for Power, alarm, tamper, and test/arm. Mine only has 4 wires to it for power and alarm. What are tamper and test/arm, and don't I need them?

It comes with 3 lenses for 35', 60', and 100'. Why are there 3; I mean, wouldn't you always want the long one?

In the diagrams it seems to be just under 90*, is that correct?

I am having some construction done which requires moving this, and I just want to make sure it is place/installed properly. The contractor got 8 strand bell wire; does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 07:48 PM
T
generally, only need 4 wires [power + alarm] -- in a pinch you could use three.

35' lens for a 'squarish' [average] room [approx 90*] and 100' for long and narrow 'hall' coverage [approx 20*].

if you need coverage immediately below [look-down], remove the small black band on the lens.

best to position it so that a person walks perpendicular/across rather than toward/away from it

corners are favorite spots -- if you cannot see it, it cannot see you

Old 03-25-14, 08:21 PM
Tamper is a extra security feature, it lets you know if someone has cut the wire to the sensor. Test/arm is when you have the capability of turning this system on or off from a remote location.
As far as your lens choices, you should choose the longest lens for your situation. You wouldn't want to choose the 100' lens if your area is only 50' because it will then detect your neighbors activities.

Old 03-26-14, 05:23 AM
T
Thanks. Is 8 strand bell wire an acceptable connector?

A couple follow up questions...
What happens if some one smashes it or cuts the wire? Does it just go dead? There is no place to put it where it would be useful, but couldn't be approached unnoticed. But I suppose someone good enough to do that wouldn't really want my lawnmower.

Why wouldn't I want to remove the look down tab? The original installer left it on, but I wonder what is lost by removing it.

Old 03-26-14, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Removing the look down tab removes the ability to use the pet immunity feature (which is based on not being able to see the area near the floor).

Like all hardwire alarm devices, it's a normally closed circuit, so cutting the wire or smashing the motion will cause the loop to open, and trip the alarm if the system is armed, or leave an open zone if the system is disarmed.

The tamper terminals are normally only used for fairly high security situations where someone might actually try to tamper with the device. For _most_ residential installations, it's something of an overkill...

Old 03-26-14, 11:53 AM
T
And the wire... eight stand bell wire okay? I sure hope so, cause that's what he used.

I didn't have the alarm on when he disconnected the motion detector, so I didn't expect anything to happen, but the alarm company got a low temperature warning. I have a thermostat type device that sends an alarm when it gets too cold.
Is it fair to assume the alarm company has wires connected wrongly at the control box? Or would it be a software thing, where they have the wrong wires assigned to the temperature alarm?
(in any event, it couldn't possibly be anything the current contractor did, since he didn't go near the temperature thing; and the temperature alarm cleared up when he reconnected the motion detector. Right?)

I really appreciate all the help.

Old 03-26-14, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Any wire from 16 to 22 gauge is just fine. Much bigger doesn't really fit the connectors properly and smaller is too easy to break, and slips out of the connections too easily.

Yes, it sounds like the zone list they are using may be incorrect. More of a human error than a hardware error.

Old 03-26-14, 07:48 PM
T
So as long as the wire doesn't break or slip out of the connectors it is okay? I'm good then.

I wasn't quite right about the motion detector and low temperature sensor. With the system disarmed, when they disconnected the motion sensor the alarm went off and sent a low temperature message to both the monitoring company and the control box. When they hooked it back up the alarm stopped.

BUT... now when I walk across the motion detector, it correctly reports it as the motion sensor is open, and nothing about the low temperature sensor.
And when I trip the temperature sensor, it sets off the alarm and reports a temperature problem to the control box; just like it should.

So WHY does disconnecting the motion sensor, but not moving in front of it, signal a temperature problem?

Very confusing. Any insights?

Old 03-26-14, 09:26 PM
T
Is power for the thermometer paralleled off of the motion? Or, are the two wires completely separated?

Old 03-28-14, 06:59 AM
T
I have been trying to avoid the company that installed the system because I spoke to them about moving the devices, but the contractor insisted that he should do it himself. I didn't want to get into any conflicts.

But they called and asked if I have been having problems.
I explained the problem to them and they think that all the powered devices will trip each other if any of them lose power. So disconnecting the motion sensor will set off the low temperature alarm.

Right now we have a door sensor disconnected, but since that is not powered, it doesn't matter.

I guess that makes sense.