DSC pc1864 not giving 12v to charge battery

Old 03-26-14, 01:41 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC pc1864 not giving 12v to charge battery

hi,

i had a low battery fault on my dsc system. it contains a pc1864 with a battery and a PC5204 with a battery.

the system had been unplugged for several months.

i bought new batteries and i still have the fault after 24 hours.

the system is fine other than the low battery fault.

i checked the transformer and there is 18v AC coming off of it at the panel.

the upper panel (pc5204) is giving 13vdc at the charging leads of the battery with the battery disconnected. it is keeping that battery charged.

the lower panel (pc1864) has ZERO vdc on the charging leads. with the plug off the board, it is still ZERO vdc on the two pins (+ and -).

i know the system goes out and pings the battery once or twice a day to see if it is low and then give the fault. so here are my questions.

1. if i Y off of the leads on the PC5204 that is giving 13vdc to keep its battery charged and hook up the battery on the pc1864 to it, and....keep it hooked up to the pc1864 so it can monitor the voltage, will that work and keep the fault off, the 2 batteries charged and not overload the charger on the good board?

2. if i do nothing....is all i am losing is battery backup and everything will function fine as long as there is AC power?

thanks

tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 05:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
It sounds like the battery charging circuit on the main board has failed on you. The scheme of trying to power everything with the 5204 probably won't work. While all you really lose is the battery backup, a failure like this is usually the opening gambit of the system board failing for good, so it would be smart to start shopping for a new main board.