fa168cps want to add wireless

Old 04-05-14, 05:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fa168cps want to add wireless

Hi, I have a First alert FA168cps and I want to add wireless because I want to add a new motion sensor and a new keypad. Is it possible with this unit? Also which one do I buy?

I would also like to add a cellular service because there is no phone line near it and it would be too involved to add one.

Lastly is it possible to add home automation type system to work with this. I would like to be able to control it via internet and iPhone. If it can is it possible to add cameras and thermostats to work with the home automation, or am i better of getting a whole new system. I would like to keep this as it is all wired up besides needing another keypad and motion sensor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-14, 06:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
First warning: Although the First Alert model you have is basically a Vista 20p, the FA models are not 100% compatible with standard Honeywell/Ademco hardware and software (especially software). The keypads, for example may not be interchangeable with the standard 6150/6160 keypads.

Here's the datasheet for your system: http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Firs...ec%20Sheet.pdf

A lot of what you want to do requires programming access and a 2-line alpha keypad to access zone programming.

I strongly doubt you can do much in terms of home automation with this.

Old 04-05-14, 06:54 PM
M
Hi Thanks for the reply, so any chance the honeywell tuxedo touch would work with this?

Old 04-06-14, 09:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The answer is a qualified "maybe". The Tuxedo Touch doesn't work with some of the older V-20p firmware versions. It's hard to tell how the FA versions correlate.

Old 04-06-14, 10:46 AM
M
Do you have any experience with the touch? How is it for home automation? Thanks

Old 04-06-14, 12:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Not really, I know enough about existing Honeywell/Ademco to service and troubleshoot. I don't really install it new.

Old 04-06-14, 05:01 PM
M
Thanks for the info,

Any other suggestions out there? If I want to get home automation combined with alarm should I change out my box and get something else.

Old 04-07-14, 07:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The simple solution would be to change the alarm control and keypad(s) to the non-proprietary Vista model.