bf error check on active system

Old 05-18-14, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bf error check on active system

Hi. I was hoping to get some help here. I have an active monitoring system and am getting the bf alarm on my keypad. My question is whether I can fix this on my end without scheduling a technician to come in. I have confirmed with my alarm company that they are not able to connect to my system. No cell towers appear to be down in my area.

I've tried clearing the error (code+1) and have purposely triggered the alarm while my security company was on the phone (at their request), and they did not receive anything.

I've searched through old posts. I found plenty of threads on removing this error on non-monitoring systems. But in this situation, it is an active system.

I'd like to see if I can fix this on my end first (since Protection1 says it will cost quite a bit to have a technician come out). Is this possible? If so, then I will hunt down the system/keypad info.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Also, how old is your cellular communicator? This could be something as simple as a low battery in the cellular unit; or it could be that you are in an area where the 3G spectrum has been sunset.

Old 05-18-14, 06:47 PM
The whole thing is about six months old.

Old 05-19-14, 01:54 AM
I opened the panel to the cellular communicator. The "fault" red light is on. There is also a blinking orange/yellow light for "TX/RX."

The system was installed in December so it shouldn't be the battery...

Looks like I am on 4G. Cellular box says Honeywell GSMX4G.

What do you think? Is there anything I can try or do I need a technician?

Old 05-19-14, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
manual: http://site.geoarm.com/pdfs/Honeywel...tall-guide.pdf

That fault light means that the cell unit's not communicating with the network, so the problem isn't likely at your end of the "wire". If this is a few months old, this is the installers problem to sort out. There's not really any user service interface for one of these radios.

Old 05-19-14, 11:07 AM
I would just reset power on it -- see if it comes back on its own.

Gently remove and reinsert the plug [in the GSMX] -- minding not to bend the tiny pins.

When all is good you should have the amber light [left side] with a slow blink [heartbeat] and the signal light green.

The amber light to the right is the Gsmx pinging the network [or trying to].

If that doesn't work, raise a stink -- they will comply.

Old 05-19-14, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I tried to remove the plug, but the sucker is in there pretty good. Any tips on pulling it out without damaging the plug?

The company is willing to send a technician to fix it, but they told me that there would be a charge plus cost for parts. Something ridiculous like $200 an hour. Which is why I'm trying to resolve this on my end.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by hec98; 05-19-14 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 06:00 PM
it will pull out -- or just remove and replace the red wire on the panel terminal.

Old 08-01-14, 12:37 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. Just wanted to post that pulling out plug (and waiting for a bit) and replugging worked. It took a few hours for the keypad to clear the error. I've already had to reset the system again due to the bf error. The plug came out much easier the second time around.

Thank you again for the support and responses.

Old 08-01-14, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that you are in a marginal reception area, and the radio drops the signal now and again. At less than a year old, the installer should be willing to evaluate this problem as a warranty issue.