Can't enable Ademco 20P. No "READY" LED

Old 05-28-14, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't enable Ademco 20P. No "READY" LED

Ademco 20P Used to work fine until battery died.

All MDs and contactors are verified good. All are hard wired. New battery, The "READY" LED doesn't come on in either of two 6160 RF keypads. Display reads ***DISARMED*** Hit * FOR FAULTS. There are no faults displayed.
Can't activate alarm system with any choice including RF Only RF in use is the 5804 wireless key. Wireless is through an Ademco transceiver, I think 5881 or 5882. Always worked.
Unplugged and disc battery and then re-powered but still the same. All Motion detector LEDs light up when passed, and faults displayed correctly for all stations.
Please help....thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 05:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Do a "cold" restart. Kill the AC power and battery, then reconnect the battery and AC power (in that order). You should be getting some indication of an open zone if you don't have the ready light, but sometimes these things lock up if they fail on a dying battery.

Old 05-28-14, 07:46 PM
I was powering up AC first. Did it your way and the Ready light came on. Thanks.

Keyboards now not responding so I powered down again, and battery first, than AC. Still no response from keyboards. The RF key doesn't work either.

All faults display as I open doors, move past MDs etc,

When I power up, system goes into Standby for a couple of minutes before the display shows "Disarmed - ready to arm". When I hit any key, the backlight is enabled, but no response to touch of any key.

Packing up to leave, so may have to work on this later.

Thanks in advance for any further assistance. Will check next hour or so.

Old 05-29-14, 01:06 AM
Cannot have two [active] RF keypads and a receiver/transceiver on the system.

Old 05-29-14, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Hadn't caught that mention of multiple RF receivers. Hopefully the OP is mistaken about having 2 RF model keypads.

This may just be a case of carefully checking the wiring in the system enclosure. Perhaps something got dislodged while handling the battery.

Old 07-07-14, 08:58 AM
My mistae on "two 6160 RF keypads". There is only one in the house, and a non-rf at the 20P location in a power room adjacent to the house. The system as is presently configured, has worked properly for several years. The only change is that the battery died and was subsequently replaced.

I did check connections, but will check again on my next trip, specifically to the keyboard connections. Note that neither keyboard works, and the RF keyfobs do not set alarm either. All LEDs light up as working.