Sensors Not Activating When Tripped

Old 06-09-14, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sensors Not Activating When Tripped

Almost done setting up my DSC PC1832/PK5500 system in the house I moved into.

I have 2 groups of windows and a PIR (5 total wired sensors) that I can't get to activate as tripped on the keypad. My other PIR displays open on the keypad when tripped just fine. Can you think of any reason that would be the case? I believe they are all contained within zones 3 and 4 on my system, and the other zones function fine. Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 12:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
If you remove the Z3 wire or Z4 wire from the terminal the point should show as open.
If not then maybe you have the point(s) programmed incorrectly.

Old 06-10-14, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you have multiple openings wired to zones 3 & 4, then NC contacts need to be wired in series so that if any one contact in a zone opens it opens the whole loop. That's one thing to check.

As pointed out in another post, the basic test is to take a wire off the zone input, and see if the zone shows as open.

Old 06-10-14, 03:50 PM
Through trial and error I got the other PIR to work. Between my zone 3 and the Com port, I have a short black wire (I don't know why, labeled as "Hall PIR"). When I remove this wire, the PIR I was having trouble with activates just fine. Any idea why the extra wire would be there and it's purpose? The Z3 wire already has the other lead going to the Com port, so seems to be a duplicate, no?

After taking the wires off zone 3 and 4 individually, they both show as open on the keypad. So what I struggle with is why they don't trigger when I open the windows. I know sensors can go bad, but the fact that 4 aren't working and they are on the same 2 zones makes me think that's not it. Any other ideas? This has been super frustrating... thanks!

Last edited by tgreen104; 06-10-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
magnetic reed contacts, can and do fail in the closed position. If they are properly wired, and the only way to get the zone to show open is to disconnect the one of the wires from the zone terminal, then you may have either stuck contacts or a crushed cable somewhere between the head end and the openings.

If I am reading your description correctly, though, it sounds like your contacts are incorrectly wired in _parallel_ and not in series.

What you should see is (lets assume that there are 3 openings on the zone):
Pair 1 would have one leg landed on common; the second leg of pair 1 would connect to a leg of pair 2; the second leg of pair 2 would connect to a leg of pair 3, and the remaining leg of pair 3 would connect to the zone terminal.

The alarm contact pairs of motions work the same way BUT the power is wired in parallel.

Old 06-10-14, 07:24 PM
Here's a diagram to help illustrate. My PIR on Z3 doesn't work until I remove the black wire. Not sure why it's there in the first place.

I think the other window sensors are chained together at the windows, as I have another zone with 2 sensors that only comes through as one group of wires at the panel. It seems fairly straightforward connecting to Z3, Z4, and Com. Is there any way to test the sensors at the window to see if they are bad. It just seems so strange that both sets of windows would have all of the sensors (4) be bad... thanks.

Attached Images  

Last edited by tgreen104; 06-10-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
When the zone is shorted...... it's in its normal state. In other words.... that black jumper shorted out Z3 so it would always show normal and the PIR would have no effect.

As seen in the diagram below. The windows are connected in a series loop. When all the windows are closed..... the loop is closed and your panel shows normal. Any window open or ANY break in the wire ANYWHERE will keep the loop from being closed or normal.

Name:  z4.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  8.9 KB

You can use an ohmmeter to check the window switch when the window is closed or the magnet is in place depending on the type of switch you are using. The ohmmeter should show continuity/short at each window.

Old 06-11-14, 05:52 PM
Almost ready to call it quits...
I cut the wires on one of the window sensors...it didn't trip. So the entire 2 window series is either not setup right on the keypad, or wires are dangling in the wall somewhere and it was never connected to the board in the first place (doubtful).

I looked on my board and noticed an extender on the left with 2 zones connected. On every zone on the main board, when I disconnect a wire the keypad displays open. When I pull the wires out on the extender it doesn't do this. I'm wondering if those two zones plugged in are the window zones I can't get to work. Is there anything I'd need to do special to set this up? Since it doesn't say Open when I unplug these I was wondering if they are set up as a null zone. Would they be considered zone 9/10 and I just keep programing zone definitions? *8 5555 001 03 03 03 03 03 03 03 03 03 03
I tried this but it didn't recognize the cut zone being open. Do I need to do something special for an extender?

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-14, 06:31 PM
*8 5555 203 ....
Figured it out. Thank you guys so much. I fixed everything I set out to do. Couldn't have done it without your help.

Old 06-11-14, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
You have to look at the jumpers on that expander board, if it's a 5108 board, to see what zones it's programmed for or if it's in disabled mode.

Name:  5108.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  28.4 KB

It's extremely hard to find lost zones like your are doing. We use a tone generator that we put on the wires and then trace them with a receiver wand.