question about adding sensor to an fa168c/fa148cp alarm

Old 06-14-14, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question about adding sensor to an fa168c/fa148cp alarm

Just had our windows replaced and the installers weren't able to reconnect all of the hardwired window sensors. One they pulled the wires through (2 bare wires) another the wires are barely there. Seem to be too short. They also left me with about 9 small dowel shaped magnets.
I'm not sure what to do with the magnets and the wires to make the connection work again. I am considering ordering surface mount sensors, but don't know which will work with my system or how to get the system to "see" the new sensor. Plus, one of the windows in inside the shower area so is a surface mount sensor a bad idea?

the alarm company wants over $100 for the first 30 minutes they come out. I'd love it if someone could give me enough clues so I could get this done myself.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-14, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Extend the wires. Hardwired contacts are just switches. The trick is, that this needs to be done _before_ you set the windows and close the wall back up. If your windows are typical modern windows, you probably need to switch to surface mount contacts, anyway (drilling into most modern low-E windows voids the warranty).

Old 06-14-14, 10:18 AM
well, the windows have been installed and the installers drilled the holes and pulled wires through already. Sounds like I'll still have to do a surface mount sensor regardless. So, what sensor will work with my alarm? I saw some youtube video about adding sensors so I have a general idea now how to add them, but haven't determined the installer code yet.

Also, thinking of switching monitoring to a cheaper service. Currently paying $40/mo to a local company. Wondering if anyone has experience using other cheaper services?

Last edited by ky650; 06-14-14 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-14-14, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
well, the windows have been installed and the installers drilled the holes and pulled wires through already. Sounds like I'll still have to do a surface mount sensor regardless.
Pulled wires where ?? If the wires are sticking out of the window frame in the path of the sliding window then you'll have to use a press fit magnetic. If the wires are outside of the window frame then maybe some type of surface contact. A picture would help us to help you better.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

A company selling many different contacts. They will all work. It just depends where you want to install them.
BURGLAR ALARM CONTACT SWITCHES

Old 06-14-14, 12:46 PM
Here's a link to a photo https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/Bq5f51

the wires on on the inside of the window frame. You can't see them at all when the window is closed.

Would a roller plunger switch work? That would eliminate the need to take the moving part of the window out to place the magnet, right?

Old 06-14-14, 10:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
That looks like a 3/8" hole which means you're stuck with a press fit magnetic switch as the roller type switches use at least a 1/2" hole and most require 3/4".

That window looks very much like some Anderson types I just worked on. I used 3/8" press fits on the bottom and top windows. The bottom switch must be siliconed as it's in the rain channel area. You can use round rare earth magnets which are very thin and mount with a small screw. No drilling will be required for them.

Name:  pf.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  3.1 KB