Will this motion sensor work from inside the car?

Old 06-23-14, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will this motion sensor work from inside the car?

Amazon.com : 2 Pack Slim Wireless Motion Sensor Light : Motion Detectors : Camera & Photo

I was thinking of placing 1 or 2 of them right by my window (rear window/front window). But I sort of read that motion sensors tend not to work well behind glass. So if took one of these and put it in my car, and someone at night were to walk by, do you think it would light up or not?

It has a range of 25 to 100 feet or so. Seems pretty powerful, but even through a window it won't work? Just don't want to spend $50 if it won't work at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Motion detectors work by detecting changes in Infrared (higher end models also use microwave). Glass pretty much totally blocks the motion detector function.

Old 06-23-14, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, that's what I've been reading. Never actually tested it out or tried as I don't have a motion sensor device yet. But how do some car cams have motion detection? Aren't they behind glass also? How do they work then?

Old 06-24-14, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Camera motion detection is strictly visual. You define a motion detection area in the field of view and the camera software looks for changes in the image. Camera motion detection works, but isn't as accurate or reliable as IR and Microwave.