System won't arm after power outage

Old 06-28-14, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
System won't arm after power outage

Alarm: dsc power series pc5508z
Install date: 2006

Tonight the power went out for a few seconds when the alarm was set, and when the power came back on the alarm went off. After I input the code, the alarm wouldn't reset. The trouble light indicated that a few zones were having issues, but as I went and opened/shut the door/window to each zone the light went out. The alarm still wouldn't set though, and after a few minutes I discovered that the Fire portion of the trouble are was also having an issue. I tried following the manual to reset the memory (*73 and tried holding the reset button for 2 seconds), but the memory light remained on and when I tried to set the system it would do the normal couple beeps and then do an unusual long beep before not setting.

I found the smoke detector that I believed was the sensor for the system, as it looked completely different, wasn't battery powered, and had a small button I could use to reset it. That did not affect anything.

Essentially, I need to know how to reset the fire sensor in the memory/trouble section so that I can set my alarm properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-14, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Try the following......................

Name:  dsc.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 06-28-14, 11:23 PM
Thank you PJMax!

I typed the incorrect number in my post, my apologies. The number I tried to clear with wasnt *73, but the *72 that was in the manual (I mistook it with the *3 I had to use in order to get into the trouble setting). I tried *72 both in the normal screen as well in the trouble screen, and neither were successful in resetting the fire sensor. I also tried holding reset for 2 seconds, but it had no effect either.

Old 06-28-14, 11:31 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have an LED keypad there ?

Old 06-28-14, 11:40 PM
No LED keypad.

My system is pretty much this (with another Ranger American logo on front)

imgur: the simple image sharer

Edit to add: The memory light is constantly on and when I go into it, the only extra light is the Fire light. A few zones were initially lit up as well, but once I just opened/closed the doors/windows assigned to them they went off. I assume this means the power outage made them not recognize the sensor, and since it was armed and the sensor appeared to be off, the alarm went off. It's just that fire sensor that I can't quite figure out how to reset since that description in the manual is not working.

Old 06-28-14, 11:47 PM
Not real familiar with DSC but, that long beep after you enter the code almost sounds like it is not recognizing the code.

You might try removing and replacing one leg of the smoke to see if it resets -- If a four-wire smoke then remove/replace one leg of power [to the smoke].

The memory LED will stay on until you arm then disarm the system.

Old 06-28-14, 11:48 PM
Group Moderator
I would consider that an LED keypad.

I'm not completely familiar with the DSC systems but I know when the systems I install get jittered like that...... I need to disconnect the AC power (either remove the wire from terminal one or unplug the power supply) and the battery for a few seconds. Then reconnect the AC first and then the battery.

You may also have a marginal battery there.

Old 06-29-14, 12:02 AM
@tpring,

I'm sorry, I'm unsure exactly what your suggestion is with the "leg of smoke" or "leg of power". I have virtually zero experience with these things.

As for the beep, normally when I set the alarm it will do a small series of beeps, a second of nothing, then repeat that cycle until the alarm is fully set. This one is doing the small series of beeps but instead of silence for a second and repeating the cycle, it just gives a long single beep and stops. When the power came back on, I had to input the code to stop the alarm from going off, so would it still possibly be it not recognizing the code if it recongized it initially?

@PJmax,

Apologies. My manual says theres also a model with a screen that has text that pops up, and I thought you were referring to that.

I will try disconnecting the power and reconnecting in the morning. I searched for a while on forums before posting here tonight trying to find a solution and saw that suggestion being accompanied a few times with a warning that any reprogramming needed after doing that is not very DIY friendly. Other than the normal code I have to input to arm/disarm my system, is there any other "master code (I think I saw it referred to)" that I'll need to have? I don't know if that's a question that makes sense or not.

Old 06-29-14, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
To clear the memory light on a DSC, you just have to arm and disarm.