Control z-wave lamp module with key fob?

Old 06-30-14, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Control z-wave lamp module with key fob?

Hi everyone,

I have an ADT pulse setup, so I know my options are limited in some ways when it comes to home automation.

But, I have a detached garage that my wife uses as an office. It has a window A/C unit, which is controlled with a GE z-wave on/off lamp module. She uses the physical button to toggle it on and off.

The problem is that the on/off button is often unresponsive (and I've replaced the module twice, and the button is consistently frustrating, so it appears to be a flaw in the design and manufacturing).

To solve the problem, I'd like to use a key fob (or any other 2+ button device) that will turn the lamp module on/off.

So here's my question:

Any recommendations for a fob that I can use specifically for this one lamp module? I want the fob to only affect this one specific lamp module and nothing else.

Any advice as to the best way to set this up? How can I make the fob and lamp module talk to each other without involving any further devices?

Thanks for any suggestions - I'll reply with results once I get it working!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-14, 10:49 AM
I'd actually prefer to use the GE 45631 remote for this, if possible.

Can anyone confirm whether the 45631 will work with ADT Pulse? I ask because, when managing devices through Pulse, I only see the option to add the 45601 Remote (I'd prefer the wall-mounted 45631).

All I want it to do is control a single lamp module, but from what I've read, this controller is a secondary controller, and I want to know if it will work with Pulse before buying it.

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-14, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
On a guess, using that lamp module to control a small air conditioner, you are probably pushing the rated current capacity of the module, which is why they keep failing.

Is you system based on a Concord or on a Honeywell Vista (ADT Safewatch)? The answer will vary depending on which.

Old 06-30-14, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, MrRon!

I don't think the capacity is the issue. It works fine in every way, except for the button switch being difficult, and I had the same issue on other devices like TVs where the button was used as the primary method of turning it on/off. I think the switches just aren't that great. Activating the module through the Pulse site, phone app, etc works fine.

To answer your question - my panel is a Safewatch Pro.

I did some research, and it looks like the 45631 controller I was interested in will not work as I want it to (it has to be used as a secondary controller).

So, I guess I'm back to my original question.

I'd like to find a 2+ button z-wave device that can be used exclusively for turning a single lamp module on/off. It does not matter if it interfaces with my ADT system at this point. It will really just be used as an extension of the physical on/off switch for the lamp module.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 06-30-14, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The ADT version of Z-wave uses a pretty limited set of parts. Here's their official list of compatible devices:
Approved Devices