Adding keyfob to Vista10

Old 07-03-14, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding keyfob to Vista10

Hi all - I've been searching here on and off for the last couple of days and I see a lot of helpful threads on doing things with a V20P but not nearly so many on a V10.

I'd like to add two keyfobs to my system. I'm not sure whether my ADT system (here when I moved in) is a V10P or V10SE - there isn't a label inside the box, the programming manual inside just says "Safewatch Pro". Is there an easy way to find out, and does it matter one way or the other? The tech who came out to activate the system told us that the previous owner had a keyfob, but she didn't mention it to us so I don't know if she even still had it or perhaps had lost it or something. I'm not sure whether the tech removed it from the system, since he asked whether we had it I would guess that he did.

The wireless receiver is a 5881M, which as I understand provides 16 zones. The keypad appears to be a 6160. There are 13 RF zones set up in the system, along with 2 hardwired zones (basement window and heat sensor).

1) Is there a way to check whether a key fob is still enrolled in the system, and if so to remove it?
2) Do I have enough zones to set up two key fobs? I've seen talk of enrolling the fobs directly to the keypad to avoid using zones but I'm not sure whether that's an option with my setup.
3) Will 5834 fobs work or would I need to get 5804 for some reason?
4) If it's possible to add both fobs, how do I go about setting them up? I've tried the step-by-step method here (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-3000-a.html#b) but I don't know the appropriate zone number to start on. I also tried the "expert programming" and template route, since it's listed in the V10 programming guide, but *58 just returns "not used".

Thanks in advance! I probably won't have a chance to mess with this again until Sunday so if there's any further info I need to provide, that's when I'll get the answers.

-Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-14, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
On the edge of the PC board there will be a part number beginning "SAV". That is the final way to id one of these, since you don't have a system diagram.

You need to know which system you have. A 10se and a 10P are very different beasts in terms of programming.

Old 07-06-14, 05:43 PM
Alright, the diagram inside the panel door is labeled "ADT Safewatch Pro & Security Manager Summary of Connections". The cover over the circuit board has a label saying "10ADTED" in large print. The ID on the circuit board is SAI42GENC. Does that give a definitive answer?

Old 07-06-14, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's essentially a Vista 10se.
Programming manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...ng/v10sepf.pdf

Each keyfob takes 4 zones, so unless an existing keyfob can be deleted, you won't be able to add one, with that wireless receiver.

The keypad enroll option only works with RF receiver model keypads, which you don't have.

About all you can do is look through the zones in the system, and look for the typical zone types used for keyfobs. If you know, for sure, that you have 13 wireless transmitters, all you can do is upgrade the receiver.

Old 07-07-14, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the info Ron. When the tech came to set up the system he mentioned that the previous owner had the motion sensor disabled. At the time I assumed this was because she had a dog, but that sensor is also set up on slot #22; the printed programming guide (slightly different from the one you linked) has some pre-printed entries in the zone table, including using #22-25 for a key fob, so perhaps that plays into it also.

It sounds like I should really just leave things be, but once a stroller is added into the mix later this year a key fob will become much more useful. I'll call ADT later to find out but can you give me an idea of what kind of cost would be involved in upgrading the receiver? hundreds or thousands range? I imagine I could muddle through the actual installation but I'm guessing the monitoring companies frown on DIY efforts...

Old 07-07-14, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 5881ENH runs about 80-90 dollars, depending on where you get it, and if there's a sale.

Old 07-07-14, 06:02 PM
OK - now that I understand what equipment I'm dealing with (thanks Mr Ron!), I'd like to remove the motion sensor and enroll both key fobs using only arm-away and disarm. I've deleted the motion sensor and appear to have successfully enrolled the two buttons on each fob (took a couple tries as initially I didn't preselect the appropriate loop before learning the button). After adding the new zones to user 03, I tested both fobs and everything worked as you would expect. HOWEVER - I immediately received a call from ADT saying someone had pushed the panic button. I just stepped through the zones and all of them have a report code of 00. What am I missing?

Old 07-07-14, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to tell. ADT tends to respond to all unrecognized signals as panic/instant alarms. Ask them what _zone_ number they received.

Old 07-09-14, 08:01 PM
I was traveling this week and didn't have a chance to check in with ADT on the zone, but my wife informed me while I was gone that the panel was signaling "check" for the zones assigned to the key fob. Got home, erased the zones, and re-enrolled them with the correct input type (5 for RF button) and everything appears to be working great. The panic/unrecognized signal still seems erroneous to me but hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks again for the help Mr Ron!