Vista 20P and Motion Fault

Old 07-05-14, 04:10 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 20P and Motion Fault

Thank you in advance for any help. I had a Brinks system. Replaced the until with a vista 20P. Reused all the same door,window and motion sensors. System is working but the motions are behaving different than my brink system did and I'm wondering if I'm able to get it to work the same way on my Vista 20P. My only keypad (6162Rf) is mounted by my front door. We also have a wired motion detector above the front door. Since my motion detector is by my keypad, when I walk up to the keypad to arm and leave the house, it always shows the motion detector fault on the keypad and won't let me arm the system until I stand still for a few seconds and the fault goes away. It's annoying because we have small children and if we are setting the alarm to leave and they are at the front door, it's pretty much impossible to get them to stand still long enough for the motion fault to clear. Is there a way to program the system so when the system is disabled, a fault in the motion will not prevent me from setting the alarm when we want to leave? Motion is programmed zone type 4, normally closed. Please help, this behavior is annoying. The brinks system would alow me to arm the system even if the motion detectors and faulting while I'm walking over to the keypad. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,601 Votes on 1,475 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A motion over the keypad ?!?!?

If you come up with a way to arm the alarm and not see the motion sensor when arming then the motion sensor would be bypassed. Otherwise you have to force arm over the motion sensor and it would be inactive.

Old 07-05-14, 11:17 PM
B
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  23.7 KB

Please see attached picture. With my Brinks system the motion detectors never showed a fault on my keypad, even with the motion detector was pointing right to the area of the keypad so we didn't have to stand perfectly still when arming our old system in order for the motion to not detect us. Anyone know if there is a way to have the motion automatically disable when the arm is disabled and only detect motion as soon as the system is armed? I'm new to self monitoring alarm systems but was able to get everything connected and programmed. It's this one issue I'd like to come up with a solution to. Any suggestions?

Old 07-06-14, 05:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Different systems implement "force arming" with greater or lesser ease. The only way to make that motion force arm and then become active with a Vista 20p would be to create a custom zone type in the system programming.

That's really a poor placement for that motion, and few experienced installers would have put one there...

If you want to make the custom zone:
enter programming: [installer code]+8+00, when you see 20 or Installer Code 20 then hit the following:

*182-0#14#126423006
*183-000000.....so that it does not dial out wen its faulted.

program the zone type of your zone as "90" in *56.

This is assuming that you have a 6160 keypad to program your zones with.

Old 07-06-14, 10:42 AM
B
Thank you MrRonFL. I will give this a try shortly, I really appreciate your time in helping me. My keypad is a 6162RF so it should work. I never thought anything of the placement of the motion when they first installed it. They had it pointing that way to protect someone from coming down the stairs, that motion would catch them. It was Broadview security that installed the Brinks system. The install and system was free so I'm sure the installer didn't want to spend a great amount of time running wires. Our garage is on the other side of that wall so it was easy for them to run the wires to that location. Thanks again for the help! I will report back.

Old 07-06-14, 09:24 PM
B
Thank you MrRonFL again for your help. I was able to use your instructions and get it to work. Great! Since I'm new to all of this, I tried looking up in my manual what those key sequences actually do but couldn't find the table. Can you let me know, now that I modified that motion to the custom zone, does it simply arm at the end of the exit delay once we arm the system in away mode?

Old 07-07-14, 02:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That sequence creates what's known as a "vent" zone, that will allow you to arm whether it's open or not, but once the system finishes the exit delay, it will become an active zone if it's closed after the exit delay.

Old 07-07-14, 06:20 PM
B
MrRonFL. I finally got around to actually testing the motions today in the away mode. I set the alarm to away, opened and closed one of the entry doors and at the end of 60 seconds where it said it was secure, I could not get the motion sensors to set off the alarm. Is there a way I can go in and check the sequence of numbers you had me enter? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-07-14, 07:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can look at the custom zone programming section and look at what the various digits correspond to. In programming pressing # instead of * lets you view the contents of a programming location.

Old 07-31-14, 01:15 PM
Question

I have the same problem. I also have the exact same setup with motion sensor above theName:  MOTION FAULT (1).jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  17.3 KBName:  MOTION FAULT (2).jpg
Views: 3426
Size:  28.4 KBName:  MOTION FAULT (3).jpg
Views: 4143
Size:  25.3 KBName:  MOTION FAULT (4).jpg
Views: 3364
Size:  33.6 KB keypad. The motion is set to zone 4. I can arm it in STAY mode (because stay bypass the motion) if there is even a fault. I need to stay still in order to arm AWAY, where motion becomes instant sensor.

SETUP:Honeywell Ademco VISTA-21IP Control Panel w/ Onboard IP AND Honeywell Ademco 6162RF Alpha-numeric Backlit Keypad w/ Wireless Receiver

My old alarm was installed by company mentioned above in this thread. I am wondering if they had to enter the script shown above to bypass this. That looks like a common setup for multilevel houses to me.

If the display shows motion fault the green padlock goes off (see pictures) preventing arming AWAY.

Keep the system as it is with the script provided here programmed or move the sensor in second part of stairway (see photo) where no one will be standing on the way out. However, one need to pass that part of the house and still wait, I guess, once in front of the keypad. Any other ways for motion not to display MOTION FAULT and prevent arming when the system is disarmed? This really does not make any sense to me. With all do the respect to others on this site, I do not think motion sensor at entrance is that unusual?

Old 07-31-14, 04:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually there are a number of reasons for a motion in that location to be a bad idea:
Aside from making arming a pain in the neck, the temperature fluctuations in even a well insulated and well sealed entry foyer are a source of false alarms, as are the inevitable insects that fly in and get in or on the lens. If the door faces the afternoon sun, the hot spot that is created when the sun shifts and suddenly shows through the window is yet another source of false alarms.

Installers put these things in the entry foyer for the same reason that the TSA makes you take off your shoes. It _looks_ like a good idea.

Old 08-01-14, 07:12 AM
Thanks MrRon. I think I will move it to a hallway connecting Master bedroom with Living room. It is a good semi dark cross path in the house; no AC vents, limited light, and no stairs where the cat might trigger the sensor being high at some points. Also by the time I get from this hallway to entry door fault will be gone. It stays for around 4 seconds. So I can arm it easily once downstairs.

Off topic. Best place for mounting Siren? It is indoors now. I am thinking outdoor high point mounted (high enough with a ladder) with a strobe light combo.

I heard a neighbor story where burglars knew this type of house as one builder built many across community, so they knew where the siren is as houses are wired the same way. Once inside they located the siren before goes off and disconnected it.

Old 08-01-14, 06:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Favorite location for sirens in at the gable vent in the attic. Since you want the strobe, as high up as you can get it and still be serviceable works just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: