Vista-20p - Phone Line Not Working

Old 07-08-14, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista-20p - Phone Line Not Working

After coming back from vacation, my Vista-20p had "94" and "FC" errors after being armed in away mode (with a power outage occurring while I was away). I have home phone and DSL, with no central monitoring of the unit for 5 years. I've gone through the FAQ and other threads to disable phone line monitoring and numbers (*92 0 *41* *42* and *94*). That has cleared the errors.

Still, my home phone line remains blank or dead, with my home phone saying that the line is in use. My DSL has worked just fine. When calling my home number via cell phone, I get 5 rapid beeps, then a disconnect. Could the alarm system have hi-jacked the line by attempting to dial out? If so, what can I do to free up the phone line? Or is this likely a problem with the phone line itself? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-14, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Start by unplugging the plug going into the telephone jack attached to the alarm control. That will remove the security system from the phone lines, leaving only your interior wiring.

Old 07-08-14, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the quick response MrRonFL. Would you have any idea where I might find the plug going into the telephone jack (I'm assuming this is suppose to be the RJ31X)?

The orange cable that houses the blue/orange wires that connect to the alarm control goes into the wall (and then I assume up through the attic).

Name:  IMG_0442a.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  40.4 KB

The TNI has orange/blue cables coming out of the wall.

Name:  IMG_0443a.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  50.8 KB

I checked in the walkable space of my attic and couldn't find any jack there.

Old 07-08-14, 04:12 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
It appears that the installer did not use the required RJ-31 jack when that unit was installed. Are the four wires on the terminal strip on the far right (last terminal vacant) going into that orange jacket cable as it appears? I see the same color cable in the telephone network interface device (NID) and I assume the connections are there for the alarm/house phone interface.

What you can do to test is to remove the wire from the first terminal and connect it with the wire from the third terminal (note the colors on each terminal) and also connect the wire on the second terminal with the wire on the fourth terminal. This will disconnect the alarm from the telephone circuitry.

Old 07-08-14, 07:30 PM
Furd, yes the four wires on the terminal strip go into the orange jacket cable. I did the swap test as suggested with the first/third and second/fourth. The home phone line remained dead. I don't know what to try next or whether to still suspect the alarm system has seized the phone line.

Old 07-08-14, 09:13 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
At the top of your NID there is a standard telephone plug. Unplug it and wait for five minutes, then plug a standard telephone into the jack and see if it works. If it works, then there is a problem with the local wiring. If the telephone plugged into the NID jack still does not work then there is a problem with the telephone company service and you will need to call them.