GE Simon XT range issues

Old 07-14-14, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Simon XT range issues

I am trying to install a Simon XT system with recessed door sensors and a separate talking touchscreen. I have moved the panel everywhere I can imagine, and I still can not reach every sensor. The construction of the house is nothing exceptional, just wood stud and drywall. In some configurations, the sensor is only 40' from the panel and still won't respond. I know that the range over which the sensors can work may vary, but this seems to be a very short range. Additionally, when I run the RF test for the touchscreen, at best I can get two bars out of four. In some instances, I have put the panel and the touchscreen only 10' apart with no obstruction other than a drywall partition between (no mirror, no electrical panel, no HVAC equipment) and get one bar.

Is it possible that my panel is the problem? Would it make much of a difference to use surface mount door sensors versus the recessed sensors? My downstairs area (where this is being set up) is outfitted with Lutron Maestro dimming switches for most lights. Has anyone had trouble with dimming light switches causing enough RF interference to cause this sort of problem? Why do I have so little RF connection between touchscreen and the panel? I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate any help more experienced heads can contribute.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-14, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
You should be getting better reception than that. You may actually have a unit with a bad receiver.