Are all wireless sensors created equal??

Old 07-18-14, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are all wireless sensors created equal??

I have a question about wireless window sensors. On my Vista 20se system I have 16 wired zones and recently expanded to wireless (one motion and two window sensors and a 6160rf). One wireless window sensor is in an attached garage with two cars, refrig, and a metal door to main house with the 6160rf. I believe my RF transmission from the garage is marginal and is often the cause of a 12 hour supervisor alert check 09, fault 09. So my question is are all transmitters equal in power? I'm using a small 5811 in the garage. Are there more powerful units I can use to overcome the metal interference? Thanks. I really enjoy this forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
The smaller, low profile and concealed, transmitters, generally are not as powerful. The standard 5816 might be a better choice, in this circumstance.

Old 07-18-14, 09:53 AM
Thanks MrRonFl. I assumed that might be the case. I was also thinking about using a repeater in the garage which would also take care of another zone in the laundry room that is marginal.... thoughts? Also, anything between between the 5816 and 5811, in size and power output you might recommend.

Old 07-18-14, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The repeater would help.

The general rule of thumb with all wireless security transmitters: Look at the size of the battery. The smaller the battery, the weaker the signal. Sadly, they don't have a table with the transmitter dB of each transmitter model.

Old 07-19-14, 01:15 AM
An added benefit with a 5816 [over a 5811] is that you can connect a wired contact [as loop 1] and move the wireless unit anywhere it might get better signal.

Old 07-19-14, 10:49 AM
Received another alarm 09, fault 09 this am, followed by several check 09, fault 09. This is after I installed a 5800RF repeater ( connected and plugged the repeater to the AC, unsupervised mode). The 6160RF is the second one I've installed...returned the first one for same problem thinking it was defective. Go/no go tests good for all three zones...ie: repeated zone faults in test mode 4-5 times per zone and got the three beeps, then it suddenly stops while still in the go/no go test mode. When I leave go/no go test, I get an immediate check 09. Am I connecting the 5800 correctly? Should I be enrolling it into the system?

Old 07-19-14, 11:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Took me a bit to register that you are using a Vista 20_se_.

Check 09 on a SE model is not a zone number, that is the wireless receiver indicating trouble. Either you aren't communicating with the 6150RF properly, or, at least one of the transmitters isn't communicating.

Check and see if you have the jam detect feature turned on. It's a frequent source of problems like this, and it's really unlikely that someone will be knowledgeable enough to try to do an actual frequency jam attempt. But, in our modern electronic noise environment, it can cause this kind of glitch.

Also, some models of the rf model keypads have a tamper switch that can cause this if the keypad isn't fully on it's base.

Old 07-21-14, 11:18 AM
Thanks MrRonFL. Jam detection is not on (*22 = 01). I checked the 6160Rf and the unit is firmly on its base. I had another check 09 this AM, 24 hours after the previous one rather than 12 hours. So I'm assuming that all three sensors are checking in Ok since I now have a 5800RP repeater. I hate to think that this second 6160RF unit is causing intermittent reception problems. What are the odds of two bad units in a row? The 20SE is an old panel so I wondering if this unit is giving me the problem.

Old 07-21-14, 12:53 PM
If you have a red button on the back of your keypad [see pic] -- most likely THAT is the problem.

If you can circumvent it with solder [or tape] I would do so, else get newer keypad.

If that is the cause, it will only get worse, so I would just get the new keypad. These things aren't meant to last for decades.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: you said it has a 6160rf. was that a recent replacement or do you actually have a 6150rf ?

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-14, 02:39 PM
Tpring, I have a 6160rf not a 6150rf and it was not a replacement for a 6150. My unit does not look like the one shown in the picture and there is no red button. Thanks.