Re-wire DSC Power 632 with voip

Old 07-19-14, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-wire DSC Power 632 with voip

This is my first post, and I am hopeful someone can help me out. I have a alarm system with a DSC Power 632 PC1555MX box.

When we originally had the box installed, we had a home phone line, but a few years later we changed over to Vonage, and when we did, we had an issue with the box, and had to have a technician come out and make a few changes and charge us a hefty ~125 bucks.

We are debating switching BACK to comcast voice and I am wondering if after he set up our alarm box to the phone line for VoIP, if they would have to change it back for regular phone service, and if so, if it is possible or fairly simple to wire it myself, as to not pay the 125 bucks to have the guy come in my house for 10 minutes and change a few wires.

I am fairly knowledgeable with wires/electronics, and I opened up the box and looked at it, and it looked fairly simple, I'm guessing you would have to move a few wires to a different spot I just don't know which ones go where, and was just curious if anyone has had the same issue as me, and if so, if they could help me out and tell me which wires I would have to switch to where.

Thanks for any and all input

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-14, 10:28 PM
If you are talking about getting a POTS (analog) line back just for the alarm system then I would highly recommend looking into a GSM or, TelGuard unit and probably save money.

BTW: In my experience, 10-minute service calls (dealing with a phone issue) are rare.

Old 07-19-14, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Typically, you would not be making any wiring changes inside the alarm cabinet. The thing that changes when you change phone services is the point where the alarm phone lines connects to your telephone service source, and them back to feed the rest of you house lines.

Try this link for how the phone lines connect to the alarm system:

...RJ-31x jack and cord. The basics of hooking this connection can be found at this article: How to Wire an RJ31X Jack | HomeTech TechWiki
Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz37yoKy2Ud

Old 07-19-14, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What the tech did wasn't magic. You need to bring the phone line to the RJ-31X jack first before it connects to any phones on the red and green wires.

Then the phones in the house get connected to the gray and brown wires.
The wiring should already be in your house. All the tech did was move the phone line from the street service to the Vonage box. Now you have to reconnect to the street service.

Name:  dsc.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  29.1 KB

Geez....I must be getting slow

Old 07-19-14, 11:10 PM
Here are a few pics I took of my unit.

I don't know if the RJ31 was there from the beginning or not.

I should have included in my first post, we have DSL service from Centurylink and are going to switch to Comcast cable.

All I remember is we switched to vonage and didn't think about the alarm, and after it was installed and our house phone disconnected our "trouble" light came on and was beeping, so we called and a tech came out and looked in the box, and did some things and said it was fixed and charged us.

Again, I'm not sure if I have to switch anything back to go back to a home phone line, or if switching to VoIP brought up an issue that the install tech screwed up on.

***after reading what PJMAx said****

so maybe I don't need to mess with the box at all? we do have an extra phone line going into our vonage box from our DSL modem, and the splitter doesn't have the lock on it anymore, so sometimes it gets disconnected and the trouble light comes on again and we have to check the line.

So is it just a matter of making sure the phone line for the alarm is hooked up to the new comcast modem/phone box after disconnecting Vonage?Name:  rsz_1rsz_1rsz_120140719_214326.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  32.0 KBName:  rsz_20140719_214320.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 07-19-14, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, you have the jack in place behind the DSL filter.

Again, you are worrying about the wrong end of the wire.

You want the other end of the wire where that jack is tied into your phone wiring.

Old 07-20-14, 12:03 AM
Ok, so essentially its all wired correctly now, I just gotta make sure the phone line goes from the vonage box to the new comcast modem/phone box we get?

Old 07-20-14, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, if it was working with the Vonage, you are just putting the Comcast box in it's place.

Just realize, that VOIP solutions for alarm communications are prone to mixed results.

Old 07-20-14, 11:17 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Comcast voice IS a VoIP system! The primary difference from other VoIP systems is that all traffic is over Comcast-owned lines. You may still have the uncertainty of any other VoIP system regarding alarm capability. It may work 99 times in succession for testing and fail on a real alarm. I agree with tpring that using a cellular link is far preferable to VoIP.

Old 07-20-14, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Yeah, after realizing that switching to comcast will also be voIP, then I just have to change the plug from the vonage box to the new comcast cable box.