BATT still flashing after replacing battery

Old 07-30-14, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BATT still flashing after replacing battery

I have an Ademco (Vista 10 I think). We have alot of power outtages and the battery gets used up pretty frequently. I just purchased and installed new battery (Casil Genuine CA1240 12V 4Ah SLA Alarm Battery). Yet the "BATT" indicator is still flashing?

I've tried re-connecting the battery. And even powered it off completely.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Have you checked the battery fuse near the top of the motherboard?

You may also consider upgrading to a 7ah battery, since it sounds like you get a lot of power fluctuations. What really kills batteries is getting deeply depleted repeatedly. A larger battery has more of a reserve.

Old 08-01-14, 11:17 AM
Hi,
No, havent checked the fuse. Had no idea about that. Ok will do.

Also good to know about the 7ah battery. Will have to do that next time.

Old 05-21-15, 02:50 PM
Hi, bringing back this previous thread I started. I'm having a tough time finding the right fuse replacement for this problem. I took out the old fuse (doesnt look to be damaged) and this is what I learned:

The fuse is about 5/8" long
It's stamped with the following:
32v (assuming this is 32volts)
301 (model?)
3a (3 amps?)

I've found a few online but not sure if I can use it as a replacement or not. also, I see some rated for 15A, is that ok to go higher?

Old 05-21-15, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
In general, with fuses, you don't want to go to a higher rating. Have you tested the fuse with a meter/continuity tester? If the fuse has continuity; then it's not the problem.

Is there a zone number with this BAT display? If you have wireless devices, that could also be the issue.

It is possible that the internal power supply on the motherboard is failing. If this is a Vista 10 or Vista 10se; then this thing is fairly long in the tooth.

Old 05-22-15, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback, so lets see:

- I didnt test the fuse...and now I can't find it! The system seems to be working without it, or at least I can set the alarm, if that's even possible.

- So I just checked. The BAT is displaying, and actually flashing not not consistently. It will show BAT for about 10-15 secs, then disappear for 10-15 secs. then it will show for 1-2 secs and then disappear for 1-2 secs. not sure if there's a pattern or if its random.

- I dont have a wireless device

- I just checked and this is a Vista 10SE for sure.

Also not sure if this is related or something completely different but when the alarm has been set before going to bed and power does go out, the alarm will actually sound (the loud high pitch piercing horn) for about a second and then stop.

So maybe I just need a new system?

EDIT: after that last line and question I started looking and am thinking to replace this old system with a new wireless one. i think my motion detectors arent working either. And it would be nice to put in a system that isnt very difficult to understand, a wireless one that i can install myself. they seem simple, maybe too easy?

Last edited by bheron; 05-22-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 10:31 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
So maybe I just need a new system?
I'm fairly sure that you can get the existing system to operate but a new system would probably offer enough upgrades to make the cost insignificant. New Vista 20P boards are about $40 to $60 and will use most of the existing peripherals with the possible exception of the keypads. A new Alpha keypad is about $100 to $120. Depending on the keypads now installed you may not need an new one.

Now, it IS possible that the fuse you mislaid is for the battery charger and this could be the reason why you are still getting a battery trouble alarm. I know with my old system I could go for three full days on just battery power, even with a ten-year old battery, with no problem.

Old 05-22-15, 09:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Low battery issue

Before you replace the battery, check first the transformer to make sure it's working properly and the circuit board.