ADT Integration with Ooma Hub and Honeywell LYNXR

Old 08-05-14, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ADT Integration with Ooma Hub and Honeywell LYNXR

Hi All,

I've read through everything I could find relevant in the forums on this subject and am at an impasse.

My thanks to MrRonFL for providing your knowledge in the past.

For the most part, all of the advice regarding ADEMCO alarm settings (Safewatch, etc) has applied to my Honeywell LYNXR panel as well.

I have a 1st generation Ooma Hub that I've been using for VOIP calling only. I have had an AT&T landline for ADT Home Alarm monitoring via a Honeywell LYNXR alarm panel. Recently, AT&T switched our landline phone service to U-Verse which is essentially VOIP (our incoming landline incoming POC now comes right off the U-Verse router rather than an NIB). I figured if we're already on VOIP with AT&T why not switch over completely to Ooma and ditch the cost of the extra VOIP "landline".

Confirmed:
  1. ADT working with the new AT&T U-Verse landline.
  2. I have installer code access to my alarm panel.
  3. Line seizure is working.
  4. I can put the alarm panel into test mode which calls ADT central station and confirms communication's available.
  5. #40 PBX is blank; #41 contains the ADT central station call number; #42 is blank.
  6. I can see in the Ooma outbound call logs the multiple attempts the LYNXR panel has made to contact ADT.

My mods:
  1. I have edited the PBX *40 field to disable call waiting (*70) and pause (#11 70 #13). Test failed.
  2. I have edited the PBX *40 field to optimize for faxes (*99) and pause (#11 99 #13). Test failed.
  3. Different compression Ooma codecs *96 (iLBC) and *98 (G711) do not result in an Ooma dialtone so were not tested.

Results:
Before programming the LYNXR, I test my call sequences using a regular handset to verify that ADT can be called with that dialing sequence.

After programming and during a test, I can pick up another handset and hear the LYNXR alarm panel calling out to ADT, ADT picking up, and the LYNXR panel sending a series of tones 4x before hanging up, as it doesn't hear the kiss-off tone from ADT. It will then attempt to repeat this 8x. This is true of both mods above. After taking the panel out of test mode, the panel will report "FC" for Fault: Communications.

When the alarm panel is tied to the AT&T landline, I used a splitter to plug in another phone to hear what a successful call sounds like. In test mode again: the LYNXR calls out, ADT picks up, LYNXR sends (1) series of tones, ADT responds with a kiss off tone, LYNXR hangs up with no repeated communication testing.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I can only assume that the way the LYNXR tones are being sent via the Ooma is different somehow from the way they are sent via AT&T UVerse.

I'm also curious what test tones are being sent to ADT central to get the kiss off. I could then send them manually on an Ooma handset and try to narrow down the problem to the alarm panel and the way it is generating its tones while on Ooma.

I'm starting to wonder if this has to do with the outgoing DTMF tones being generated too quickly for VOIP compression to send clearly to ADT. Would it make sense to try to switch the communications protocol? *48 (Report Format) currently reads 7 for ADEMCO CID w/ 7 digit subscriber acct number.

Other relevant system info:
*47 (Phone System Select) = 5 (No WATS w/ speaker phone)
*53 = 0 (Radionics reporting)

Thank you for any guidance in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 04:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
You are correct. The analog-digital conversion is distorting the communication tones too much for the alarm receiver to recognize it. There's really nothing you can change on the alarm panel that will make this work. This is an issue with the VOIP adaptor. Sometimes a different VOIP adaptor will allow this to work.

Digital artifacts that are not an issue with a voice call often have an effect on the DTMF tones used by alarm communicators.

Old 08-06-14, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you MrRonFL for the reply.

*Sigh - I guess it's (2) VOIP lines for me for now.

Old 08-06-14, 07:42 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If your alarm panel is compatible, a cellular link is the preferred method. Removes any problems of VoIP as well as someone cutting the Internet connection.