2 Zone Alarm - Where to place sensors ? Pic included

Old 08-09-14, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 Zone Alarm - Where to place sensors ? Pic included

Hey everybody, i was wondering if somebody with some electronic advice or experience with alarms could give me some advice with this setup im doing.

Im trying to secure a backyard cottage in the back garden. I attached a picture below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36155[/ATTACH]

As for the alarm im going with this pcb here Here

then ill add a standard 12v sealed lead acid battery maybe 12v x 1.3 AMP,

Ill be getting a 220V to 16 VAC @ 1amp adapter to run the pcb board & a 12v 110db siren.

I already have a 4 button & 1 button remote to program it in.

The PIR motion sensors which cost about 12$ each converted from my currency they have a 12m/39 Foot range with a 160 degree angle according to its specs ( link : Here ) this is another one that costs about 15$ ( Link : Here )

I was planning on running one sensor outside by the two doors under the roof & then another outside protecting the windows. The problem is the one sitting outside protecting the windows might get damaged im not sure, if it lasts half a year its okay i guess but it might go off unnecessarily ?

Would the best bet be just to leave the one under the roof by the doors & the other sitting inside protecting the windows ?

I would like the the sensor to be outside by the 3 windows although im on a little bit of a budget so buying anything more expensive wont help.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-14, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Don't rely solely on motion detectors. Use hardwired contacts. They will be cheaper than the motions, and can be installed so that they are inside the perimeter

Old 08-09-14, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the reply, appreciate it. So by hard wired contacts you mean those two magnetic contacts for doors etc ?

I have a spare computer aswell which has two webcam's & i could probably go get another one, i have software that will send me messages upon motion detection aswell. I also have a old gsm phone which i would like to eventually build onto the siren output with a relay.

So do you think one motion sensor protecting the window from the inside and one motion detector protecting for the outside should be cool ? Thank You

Old 08-10-14, 07:43 AM
Please help really in desperate need to go and get what i need tomorrow. Thank you all

Old 08-10-14, 09:59 AM
Not sure I would use indoor motions outside of the protected zone but, under the roof facing out from the corner [with the door hinges] would be the best spot [if you choose that route] and NOT outside the windows -- Especially with low-cost motions.
If you do an inside motion, face it away from the windows.

Siren output is only 1 minute so if you need more than that add a timer relay and extra power supply.
If you have a choice on sirens, get the type that looks like a megaphone -- they will "make your ears bleed" [in small spaces].

You can always start with the basics and add [or subtract] parts, later.

Old 08-10-14, 10:13 AM
Hey there tpring, thank you bud, ill be going with one sitting outside by the doors then, i did however find a security light which has a perfectly fine motion sensor which could go outdoors but how would i go about wiring it into the panel ?

I noticed the siren is only one minute but it should be enough to wake me up i hope.

Im also thinking of wiring my old nokia to a relay then adding it to the siren output aswell.

Thank you for your help.

Old 08-10-14, 10:23 AM
You bet -- Just be aware that bugs crawling/flying in/on the motion could give you false alarms [and less sleep].

Was going to suggest motion lights but, not sure of your ability to add an outlet [or fit it in the budget].

Old 08-10-14, 10:42 AM
I see what you mean, i was thinking of putting the motion light sensor by the doors then & keeping the PIR indoor sensor facing in a way that it will detect any break in from the window.

Like i mentioned i have a motion light, just not sure what to do or if im wasting my time, i feel that 2 or maybe 3 webcams on a computer in the room with the lights on could help, then i could possibly set up a program on the pc to make a noise when it detects anything but that means i wont be scaring away the thieves.