Home security system recommendation

Old 08-29-14, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home security system recommendation

I want to purchase a DIY wireless home security system. For the moment, I do not want to pay a home monitoring service and prefer to be informed of my alarm status via the Internet (WiFi and cellular) and text messages. I’d like to have the ability to connect to a monitoring service in the future.

The main entrance to the house is a steel gate. I’m not sure if a sensor exists for this type of entrance. I have 3 solid wood doors, 1 aluminum door with window, many aluminum horizontal louver style windows and a couple of glass horizontal louver style windows.
Also, I have an indoor cat.

I wanted some input on what types of alarm systems and sensors you guys recommend for this setup to work and I can install.

So far, I really like the SimpliSafe system, but doesn’t offer ZWave or Camera support, which is something I would like to add in the future.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Most of the features that you are after will require working with some kind of service. These are features that generally don't work standalone.

For camera systems, depending on how many you want, either go with a standard DVR system or use IP cameras (which is actually what most of the "camera plus security" packages are actually using).

For doors and windows that standard wireless transmitters don't attach to easily, most transmitters allow you to use ordinary hardwired contacts to get the setup you want.

The louver windows are the beast. Historically, those were protected using wired screens. Those are very difficult to come by, now, and very expensive when you can find them (they have to be custom made).

Your best bet for protecting those is acoustic glass breaks and motion detectors.

Stick with the major brands. Those really cheap, no-name systems are just that; cheap. They are usually difficult to install and configure, and spotty, at best, in how well they work.