Protecting garage door entry

Old 08-29-14, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have had some snatch and grab thefts recently. Leave your garage door open, someone goes in, steals bike, rides away.
I'm in the back or side of house and never saw it.

Want to prevent it.
I already have installed a full Ademco Vista 20p system running, but don't want to have to arm it just for this.

Have searched, but not found it ready made anywhere.
My thinking:
Use standard Ademco siren - 12 vdc I think.
Use garage door beam kits; e.g. Liftmaster, Genie, Chamberlain.
Normally closed. Put them at ankle level (just like the ones are on the door now).
Maybe even use the existing ones.
When tripped, it would have to send a 12vdc to somewhere (siren).

Problem is I can't find any specs anywhere about what travels on the sensor wires back to the opener.
Thought someone here might know how they really work and save me cutting and splicing wires to determine it.

Seems simple, but I am electronically dumb.

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Nice idea, but it won't work. It will just make your garage safety system screw up.

Get something like the Optex Wireless 2000 driveway alert. http://www.optexamerica.com/sites/de...ess%202000.pdf

It's made for the job, and they work great.

Old 08-29-14, 06:04 PM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
I don't mean to sound trite, but why not shut the door after each use?

Old 08-29-14, 11:51 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Gotta agree with Norm. Almost always when I am not in the immediate vicinity of my garage door I have it closed. My door operator came with two remote controls, one for the car and one for my pocket when working outside.

You COULD install a photo-beam system to ring a bell or siren but it won't stop anything, just alert you as to when it takes place.

Old 08-30-14, 03:55 PM

Thanks for replies.
So... nobody knows whether the garage beams send voltage or some signal? And if they can be powered by a standalone power supply.

The Optex is a motion detector type - not good for my need.

I was looking for something where I would know to step over it, but the bad guy would try to just walk thru it unknowingly - eliminating need to arm and disarm repeatedly.

I do think an alarm or voice warning would make a thief think twice about continuing entry. It sure would stop me.

Will figure it out myself I think.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 08-30-14, 04:14 PM
Looked at Optex site and they seem to have the sensors (AX-70TN) plus they provide the detailed specs, unlike the garage door beam mfgrs giving no info.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 08-30-14, 07:34 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
There are several photocell devices available that would be better than garage door sensors which are made specifically for the door operator. I'm not sure about now but a couple of decades ago Radio Shack had one for, as I recall, about $50.

Some of these units have a combined light source and receiver in one package and a reflector for use at the other side while some have separate light source and receiver. I know that Grainger sells them and as I recall the price is somewhere in the $75 to $100 range, but Grainger IS expensive. I have a couple of the two-piece controls in my junk that I bought from surplus for about $10 each.

At any rate, you do NOT want to place them so low that you can easily step over the beam as it will not be reliable depending on exactly where the miscreant steps. Knee height to waist height is good as it is too high to step over yet too low to duck under. You could use a remote control (keyfob) to turn the thing off momentarily for your own passage and that could up the price another $20 or so.