Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Want super-simple alarm with silent alert

NY

08-30-14, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Want super-simple alarm with silent alert

We are thinking about a basic alarm for our house. Just a few wireless motion detectors in strategic locations. We don't need a monitored system, dialing, or maybe not even a loud alarm. Just a buzzer to alert us when we're asleep.

A feature I do really want, though, is a silent alert to let us know when we come home if the alarm has been triggered, before we go inside. The only one I have seen was a flashing LED device which looks perfect, but it's in the GE Choice Alert system, which seems to get bad reviews.

It would also be really nice to be able to easily arm/disarm the system with a key fob remote or something other than a keypad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links

08-30-14, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)  
An LED can be installed on virtually system. For that matter, any system will work as a LOCAL only, if that is what you desire.

WA

08-30-14, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)  
The simpler and less expensive the system, especially with wireless, the more likely you will have false alarms or not be alerted to a real alarm.

Still want to go inexpensive and simple?

MD

08-30-14, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)  
There is an alarm system I heard about on Ask This Old House and it looks good is not expensive and can be added on to by the homeowner at any time without wires. The alarm is called SimpliSafe and can be monitored or left unmonitored here is a link to the alarm system SimpliSafe | Home Security Systems . I don't endorse and really don't know how good it really is perhaps there are reviews available online about it. I only checked into it very briefly so I can't tell you much more about it.

NY

08-31-14, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)  
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have not learned anything helpful yet.

An LED can be installed on virtually system.
I've looked at a dozen or so different manufacturers, and only seen this with the GE system I mentioned. Anyplace you can point me?

The simpler and less expensive the system, especially with wireless, the more likely you will have false alarms or not be alerted to a real alarm.

Still want to go inexpensive and simple?
Yes, I do.

I don't automatically believe that the only quality reliable systems are the high-end full-featured monitored systems. The world if awash in high-quality, inexpensive electronics.

There is an alarm system I heard about on Ask This Old House and it looks good is not expensive and can be added on to by the homeowner at any time without wires. The alarm is called SimpliSafe and can be monitored or left unmonitored here is a link to the alarm system SimpliSafe | Home Security Systems .
Their systems get pretty good ratings, but their website is such a long-winded sales pitch it's a bit of a turnoff. Besides, they don't offer the outdoor silent alert feature I want.

Any other ideas?

David

WA

09-01-14, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I think you need to define simple and inexpensive. I could definitely help if you wanted a wired system but the wireless requirement DOES make it more expensive.

You might also want to look to the future when you might want a monitored system or when you want to sell your house. A full-featured alarm system would likely add to the value of the house, if not monetarily at least make it a bit easier to sell. Just because a system has the ability to be monitored does not mean it has to be monitored.

NY

09-02-14, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)  
I see a dozen or so different brands of simple alarm systems that work something like this:

- Sensors or transmitters sense when a door or window opens, or when motion is detected inside part of the house. I think I would only use the motion sensors. These are usually about $20 each.

- These sensors communicate wirelessly with a central control unit. These go from about $40-100.

- The central control unit turns on an alert, or sounds and alarm, or dials a monitoring center, or dials another number. I probably only need an alert. Definitely not a monitored system. We don't have anything worth stealing. We just want to know if someone is in the house.

- As I initially suggested, I like the idea of some sort of outdoor alert that we could see when returning home if the alarm was tripped in our absence. Another $20.

- I like the idea of a key fob or other hand-held control, rather than a code keypad, to turn the system on and off when we come and go and at bed time and when we get up. $20.

So those are the types of systems I'm looking at.

David

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

09-02-14, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)  
What ever would trip a buzzer would also have the power to light an LED. Mount it where you could see it before entering. Doesn't have to flash, just light - in your choice of color.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

WA

09-02-14, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)  
The main idea behind having a loud siren connected to an alarm system is to startle/scare a burglar away [or at the least, shorten the time they are inside your home].

With a silent alarm you are not only increasing the chance of a confrontation with you [or a family member] but, also that person will be staying in your house longer.

Also, motions serve as a secondary level of protection -- once the burglar is already in the house. The main purpose is to prevent/deter them from getting in the house.

Last edited by tpring; 09-02-14 at 07:56 PM.

NY

09-03-14, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)  
I understand the goal of scaring a burglar away, rather than confronting them, which is definitely to be avoided. But I hate the idea of a really loud and disturbing alarm as the result of a false positive. I really hate the chaos of car alarms and all that other "urban" noise pollution, so I want to avoid it if at all possible in my sleepy, safe, little suburban neighborhood.

Basically what I want is just a second set of eyes and ears, and a little warning that something's amiss, like what an attentive dog would provide. For instance, I really enjoy our outdoor motion-sensing lights. Just enough to make me think, "Hmm. What's going on out here?" Usually a cat, or the wind blowing something around.

So a local buzzer or strobe or something that would let an intruder know that the alarm had been tripped would be OK. But the thought of waking up the entire neighborhood with some loud siren going off by mistake every ten minutes while we're away on vacation is unthinkable.

I like your point that the door and window alarms are more of an early warning than the motion sensors. I hadn't thought about that. Trouble is, we leave the windows open a lot in the summer, so I don't know how that would work. (They are blocked so they can only open 8" or so, so nobody can crawl in.)

Good suggestions. Any other suggestions, or experience with specific brands of DIY alarms appreciated.

David

WA

09-03-14, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)  
Depending on your definition of cheap, you might try looking at a 2gig panel with z-wave capability.

You could permanently mount it or make it mobile [mounted on a board and just plugged in].
Use the 'chime' feature instead of a siren.
Can connect a 12vdc LED/light to it without using a relay and power supply.
Have it in the master bedroom at night.

Customize it for your situation.

edit: I can tell you from experience that if you have an alarm in the middle of the night, you want as much lead-time as possible [and a plan].

Last edited by tpring; 09-03-14 at 11:01 PM.

NY

09-05-14, 08:05 AM   #12 (permalink)  
Andont

Driveway Sensors System is the best option for Security,You can use driveway alert systems for detecting, motion / entry of cars, trucks, people and provide a security alert.
Not what I'm looking for, the web site looks like a scam, and this and the only other two posts you've ever contributed are obvious SPAM!

Super Moderator

AZ

09-05-14, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)  
Thanks for reporting it db. Many people don't, but you made our job easier!

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OH

10-13-14, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Not sure if you're still looking around, but I'd say that a 2GIG system sounds like your best bet. It's fairly inexpensive, almost completely wireless (still needs power), and has Z-Wave capabilities. If you can't permanently affix it to a wall or can't run a wire for the LED, you could always use a Z-wave siren/strobe, which will let you know if the alarm is tripped before you get in the house.

All that being said, I will say that I think the silent alarm idea isn't very good. You definitely want to avoid a confrontation with an intruder if you can help it. If you're concerned about noisy false alarms, there are a number of things you can do to eliminate false alarms. The biggest thing you can do is to make sure that any pets you may have don't have access to rooms with motion detectors. Generally speaking, unless equipment is malfunctioning, most false alarms are the result of user error. Either people go in or out of doors that don't have a entry/exit delay, they forget their user code, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with a false alarm when nobody is around.

I will agree that the Linear technical support for 2GIG is pretty bad. It used to be great when they were just 2GIG, but now that they're owned by Linear the service is pretty bad. However, if you do end up picking up a 2GIG system and have any technical questions or want to eventually get your system monitored., you can visit ****************

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-13-14 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed

NY

01-11-17, 08:55 AM   #15 (permalink)  
Need Ideas For Super-Simple Security Alarm

I'm looking for a really basic system to alert us to an intruder. I want three or four motion sensors that will trigger an alert tone (not necessarily a loud siren) to alert us while we're home. I also want it to turn on a light or strobe visible from outside, that will stay on until manually de-activated. This is so, when returning home, we can tell if there has been an intruder while we were away. I think a couple of key fob controllers would be useful, too.

That's it. I DON'T want: monitored system; smart phone control; phone dialer; internet connection, "smart" home controls, window/door sensors, etc.

There are so many options out there, but none seem to offer what I want. In particular, an outside light alert that stays on until turned off, and doesn't time out after a period of time.

I'm moderately handy with electrical stuff.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

David

Group Moderator

WI

01-11-17, 12:05 PM   #16 (permalink)  
I merged your two questions since they're basically the same thing.

Search this Thread