ge 250-co vs ge 260-co to replace ge 240-co

Old 09-07-14, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ge 250-co vs ge 260-co to replace ge 240-co

I placed an order for a GE 250-CO with 250-CO-PLT Adaptor Plate Kit for Replacing my 240-COe. I received the GE 260-CO SafeAir Detector instead. The difference in the detectors from what I've read is that the 250's built-in sounder is the supplementary alarm notification device and the control panel is considered the primary alarm notification device compared to the 260 which the sounder acts as the primary alarm notification device and the control panel is supplementary. I have a ADT fire/security panel that's monitored and would think that The control panel should be the primary alarm notification device opposed to the sounder.
The question I want to throw out there is am I correct in stating the only difference in the 2 detectors is the primary notification device? Should I keep the 260 over the 250 cause I'm A little confused at this point and need a little advise.
Any information will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 01:44 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
This is not really my area of expertise but as far as I know an initiating device with a sounder is only to ensure the occupants of the area hear the alarm. I think there are regulations that state the minimum decibel level of an alarm sounder and if a particular area is too far from the main sounder then an auxiliary sounder must be used. This auxiliary sounder is often part of the initiating device.

If I am wrong one of the alarm techs will correct me.

Old 09-08-14, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
It just means that the unit and it's integral sounder meets the current standard for a stand alone or interconnected device, and produces the specific sound pattern that's now the code standard for CO detectors.

Just hook it up like your old one. It will still trip the alarm system horn.