GE concord 4 dialer issue

Old 09-10-14, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE concord 4 dialer issue

My alarm company don't get signal from my panel any more. They worked with me measure the measure the voltage on the GE concord 4 panel. And don't see voltage drop during the dialing. So conclude it's the dialer problem. And told me I can get a headset to hear if there is an dial tone. What kind of headset is it? Any other way to verify it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-14, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
Not headset..... testset. A buttset like the phone men use. Looks like the handle of an old style phone with alligator clips.

You can use any phone to test with. Using any available phone..... plug it into a non mounted phone jack and use the red and green wires to test with.

Name:  wiring-phone-jack.jpg
Views: 4118
Size:  17.1 KB

It's pretty unusual for the alarm to just stop dialing. Have you changed services ?
The phone wiring in your house is supposed to be routed thru the alarm panel so that in the event of an alarm.... the alarm would seize the phone line. Is that how your alarm used to work ?

Name:  rj31x.JPG
Views: 4803
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 09-11-14, 08:34 AM
Thanks PJmax for the detailed explanation.

The system has been working fine for months till a few weeks back. The alarm company alerted me that they don't get my signal. They checked the settings, couldn't find anything. So they say it's my voip is not stable. And send me a cellular module. As instructed by them, I removed the right-most 4 wires from the concord 4 panel ( i believe they are terminal 25-28). And put the green wire from cellular module to terminal 25 and red to terminal 28. Also connected power wires to the cell module. But after removing the 4 wires from the panel. All phone jacks in my house don't work any more. I believe something wrong with it. Any thought?

Old 09-11-14, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Yes... many VoIp services will allow the alarm to connect with the central station but the actual information gets scrambled.

I left you a diagram of your panel dialer area. You'll see an RJ31X jack. Your phone line comes in on the red and green terminals. It goes thru the alarm and the goes to your telephones and the rest of the house on the brown and gray terminals. Usually if you unplug the modular jack cable the house phones will start working. If not.... connect red to gray and green to brown to restore service.

Old 09-12-14, 01:49 PM
I diy'ed a buttset as your diagram illustrated. Do you know how to test the dial tone on the GE concord 4?

Old 09-12-14, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
The GE does absolutely nothing without a phone line or a GSM communicator connected. The alarm system monitors the phone line. If there is no phone line it will just sit there and eventually announce a phone line failure.

What are you checking for ?

Did you connect your 4 phone wires together like I mentioned above ? That should make your phones operable again.

Old 09-12-14, 07:24 PM
Yes. the phone line in all rooms operate again. Thanks for that.

The conclusion from the alarm company is that the dialer in the GE panel is broken. I need to replace with a new panel. I just want to know how to check the dialer in the panel with the buttset. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-14, 11:23 PM
Group Moderator
You have to a phone line connected and then cause the panel to try dialing by setting off an alarm. A true butt set can be connected across the phone line and you can monitor the line and listen for the dialer. I'm not sure if your panel will dial with your "test phone" connected. It may detect that phone connected and think the line is in use. You could try it.

You may also need to check the programming to make sure the correct phone number is still in there.

Old 09-13-14, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Is it possible that you may have switched to the VOIP solution since the alarm was last communicating? Usually they way those are installed is by simply plugging the adaptor into a random jack. If so, then what you be doing is feeding the dial tone through the alarm backward.

When the dialer tries to pick up the line to dial out, it's essentially hanging up on itself.

When you try to use a derived phone line with an alarm, you have to make sure that the dial tone is supplied to the incoming (red/green) pair of the alarm jack.

Old 09-13-14, 05:36 AM
The correct phone number is there. I armed the alarm, then disarmed with duress code. Picked up the test phone, did not hear dadadadada dialing. I thought the panel would seized the line even it's in use. But I will get a cheap buttset from amazon.

Old 09-13-14, 05:40 AM
Nope MrRonFL. My house was wired for VoIP. I switched the VoIP adapter/vendor. But it's been working for years.