ION wireless plunger

Old 09-20-14, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ION wireless plunger

I have a concord 4 alarm.I went to install the ION wireless plunger.Drilled hole and made sure it fits.Went to lean sensor and took out battery and heard the chirp from alarm. I reinstalled and for a few minutes it was OK. About an hour later it showed open.I figured maybe space between the sliding door and the plunger was to wide,with door locked. So I put a few pieces of the news paper to see how wide the space was. The open went away. So I put small washes to push out the plunger father than the newspapers. It still shown open.Put in a few pieces of news paper again and it closed.It stayed close for the next 8 hrs,during this time I had opened and closed the door a few times. Never showed a open,alarm came back OK. I then Put a bigger washer behind the plunger and it showed open again. Deleted (3 times during this process) the sensor and went to learn sensor and took battery out and heard the chirp again. The sensor comes up open again. I put the newspaper between the plunger and sliding door and closed it again and the open went away. Has been good all night. I was just using the news paper as a gauge to see if there was a gap between the plunger and the sliding door. Any idea to what I am doing wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-14, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
On a guess, your sliding door has enough of a gap between the edge of the door and the inner face of the door frame that the mechanical plunger isn't making contact enough to actuate the plunger switch in the transmitter. The fact that it works with a wad of paper in the gap is pretty indicative of that.

You may have to use a magnetic model for this, rather than a mechanical plunger model.

Old 09-20-14, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
I have loads of those switches (wires type) in installations. Roller ball types. They are very prone to the door and frame expanding and contracting. I end up changing a lot of them as the gap gets too tight and the ball shatters or pushed into the switch.

I also carry spacers in case of too much gap. That sounds like your problem. However, you need to be careful using that type of switch on a sliding door because if the door is slammed the switch/transmitter can shatter.

Name:  spacer.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  2.0 KB