New Ademco Vista 20p install

Old 10-18-14, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New Ademco Vista 20p install

I need help. I have the panel/box on the wall - power going to the board - 6162RF attached to the panel and powered - and a siren (2) wired but I have never heard a peep from it. I put a resistor on zone 1 which by default was fire and have disabled zones 2-8.

Question 1 : The keypad says "disarmed - ready to arm". Obviously the keypad is operational - the numeric keys beep when depressed - but the home/away/etc keys make not a sound. Does a zone have to be enabled before I can arm the system ? I tried setting up zone 9 for a wireless 5816 and it took the settings but still the home/away keys do nothing.

Question 2 : When I purchased the system in July I believe I read that the 6162RF had virtually unlimited zones. Is that right - 1 zone for each wireless device ?

Question 3 : Can I have a purely wireless Vista 20p system ? (Outside the basic system I described - siren/panel/keypad).

I have a ton more questions but I'll stop there for the moment.

Thanks

Question 4 : The system has just been sitting there powered for about an hour - now it is beeping with "LO BAT 10". I check and zone 10 is currently disabled....

Question 5 : Just tried 'wiring' a contact/magnet to zone 1 - changed the zone type to 3 (peripheral) and the zone faults - tried with and without the resister. ??

Last edited by lhpdiver; 10-18-14 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-14, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Explain about zone 1 again. I think you're speaking about the function keys, you need to hold those Dow for 2 sec or so. Don't ado it, untill you know YOU have the MASTER code.

I don't know about the 6162. Yes on the wireless. You may think zone 10 is disabled, but it may not be. When you enter 00 followed by *, follow it with a 1 to confirm.

PS. if you want a 100% wireless system, just delet zone 1.

Old 10-19-14, 09:16 AM
Q1 - no
Q2 - zones are in board, not keypad. yes [mostly], however you can have 2 zones on 1 5816
Q3 - yes
Q4 - try deleting zone 10, panel batt connected?
Q5 - to disable need for resistor, set zone to NC in *56

Old 10-19-14, 09:33 AM
Thank you both.

Still having some trouble. Currently I have disabled zones 1-8. I have zone 9 enabled for a 5853 wireless glass break. The 6162RF keypad shows "DISARMED - ready to arm" with a green light.

When I enter my 4 digit code and press 2 nothing happens. The system does not arm. There are no faults. btw - I never would have thought I had to hold the single function keys for 2 seconds.

Could it be that the default settings for the user (6162rf) are not sufficient to arm the panel ? I have not change the attributes of my only user (me).

Thanks again.

Edit : That was it. I had created a new user (not knowing about users 01 and 02) for which I had not set the proper attributes. when I use 4112 the system arms just fine.

Old 10-19-14, 10:44 AM
excellent.

01 [4112 as default] is the installer code. use that code to create 02 [master code] if you did not create it already. [try 1234 default master]

Old 10-19-14, 11:23 AM
Did you address the keypad to address 16? Most honeywell keypads ship as address 31 to make them compatible with the older controls.

Old 10-19-14, 12:24 PM
Next question - (totally wireless Vista 20p) - so far I have a wireless glass break and a keyfob 'enrolled'. I am having trouble with a 5816. I see a note on the piece of paper that describes install "NOTE 5816 has 2 unique zones". So I guess I need to chew up 2 zones for each of my 20 or so devices ? How do I configure those zones. When I set up one zone for perimeter/RF the system arms but doesn't trigger when the magnet is distanced from the transmitter. The system does trigger when I open the transmitter (tamper switch).

Thanks again.

Yes - the keypad address is 16.

I tried adding a user #3. I set the 4 digit code, authority level = 0 (user), access group = 0 (none), active partition = 1 (my only partition), and did nothing for rf zone and open/close paging. When I try to arm the system using this user - nada. Any ideas ?

Last edited by lhpdiver; 10-19-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 01:59 PM
Next question - (totally wireless Vista 20p) - so far I have a wireless glass break and a keyfob 'enrolled'. I am having trouble with a 5816. I see a note on the piece of paper that describes install "NOTE 5816 has 2 unique zones". So I guess I need to chew up 2 zones for each of my 20 or so devices ? How do I configure those zones. When I set up one zone for perimeter/RF the system arms but doesn't trigger when the magnet is distanced from the transmitter. The system does trigger when I open the transmitter (tamper switch)..

- No [not necessarily], read section regarding loops 1 and 2.

Old 10-19-14, 02:20 PM
Ok - I read quickly - The 5816 is now working properly : it triggers via the magnet and tamper. I set up 2 zones with the same serial number, 1 for loop 1 the other loop 2.

Is there a better way ?

Ok - slower read - perhaps I can edit the zone and copy the serial number and enter another loop number. I won't be able to try that until later this evening.

Last edited by lhpdiver; 10-19-14 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 05:49 PM
MrRonFl - hope everything is Ok....

Old 10-20-14, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
If you are using just the built in contact on a 5816 you only need to program loop 2. If you are using an external contact, you only need to program Loop 1. You do _not_ have to program both loops on these transmitters.

Old 10-21-14, 09:12 AM
I'm having some trouble getting a 5816 to work. I've enrolled it as
ZN ZT P RC IN:L
09 01 1 10 RF:2s

The keypad screen says "DISARMED - ready to arm"
If I stand in front of keypad at that point and separate the magnet from the contact the system faults. But when I arm the system and do the same thing - nothing. When the system is armed and I open the 5816 the alarm sounds.

Any ideas appreciated.

Edit : just tried a second 5816 - same results. BUT - I had been using STAY mode. Just tried AWAY and the alarm triggers. Why would that make a difference ?

Last edited by lhpdiver; 10-21-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 01:14 PM
When we lived in Florida we had a Vista20 system for over 10 years and all we ever used was STAY and AWAY. I was just reading about NIGHT/INSTANT/MAX etc. Why would you ever want STAY not to alarm if someone opened an entry door - as our system in Florida did. It looks like we will want to use MAX

Old 10-21-14, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you waiting long enough for the exit delay to time out on arming?

Many of the basic configurations are false alarm reduction features (a big deal, these days with local governments levying fairly stiff fines for false dispatches...)

People can and do forgot to disarm their system before rushing out the front door, or trying to get the puppy out the door when it needs to really go...

That's why entry/exit doors have an entry delay in Stay mode...

Old 10-22-14, 10:40 AM
Thank you MrRonFL. I'm going to play with those modes but at the moment I like MAX for STAY.

Next question - I'm probably overdoing it but I have the 6162RF keypad, a WAVE2 siren and a 748 siren (outside the front door) all within 5-6 feet of each other. We live about 1/2 mile from the guard house - that's why I wanted a siren outside as well.

As for wiring the 748 (to our Vista20) for warble is it just a simple matter of connecting the red/black wires from the siren to the same terminals as the WAVE2 are attached (ignoring the Yellow/White wires from the siren).

Thanks

Edit : are there any power issues using 2 sirens ?

Old 10-22-14, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Add the two current draws together along with the current draw for your keypad(s) and modules. If the total doesn't exceed 2 Amps, then they will work (700mA, if you are trying to conform to UL commercial security standards).

Old 10-22-14, 02:14 PM
I will try and figure out the numbers you mention - but since our 'only' wired components are the keypad and two sirens hopefully we will be ok.

I'll wire it up tomorrow. After that all I have left is the Visonic DL-125C Speech Dialer (which you suggested months ago). What do you think - should I use a 'constant power supply' or put it in the Ademco box and use it's power ? I was leaning towards the later - principally because this little area is getting crowded what with 2 internet routers, a vonage device, a VOIP phone, the networked wireless printer, the home intercom phone etc. As it is I have no room left in the two power strips sitting there.

Thanks - You are the best !