GE NetWorx NX-8V2 to Horn via RBSN Relay

Old 11-01-14, 09:06 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE NetWorx NX-8V2 to Horn via RBSN Relay

I've searched and search and what little I could find was baffling. This seems like it should be such an easy task even with my somewhat limited understanding of electronics.

While I really want to understand this, right now I'm more anxious to get it hooked up and working. Would anyone here be able to help me connect this and set it up in the panel?

I've hooked this up several "obvious" ways and nothing seems to work. Any help greatly appreciated and if someone is able to explain it, that would be frosting.

Thanks much.

My current settings are at the default:
LOC46 SEG 1 = 3 ("Aux output to stop timing upon user code entry.")
LOC47 SEG 1 = 0 ("Burglary Alarm")
LOC47 SEG 2 = 10 ("10 Seconds")

There is a strange note that makes no sense at all to me though I suspect it might be the issue, which is to say doesn't seem to be enough "juice" to drive even the relay: "Auxiliary outputs current limited to 250 microamps when output is positive and 50mA when output is negative"

LOC46 SEG 1 could also be set to 6 ("Invert auxiliary output - 0V going to 12V when activated") but not sure if that's what's meant by the note above, so I haven't messed with that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41018[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-14, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,040 Votes on 964 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

They do some hokey things with the aux outputs. I could never figure why they couldn't use small relays. Then the different output supply currents based on function.

That panel does have a bell/strobe output system. Have you considered using that ?

Old 11-01-14, 09:26 AM
T
I tried the bell output and it drives a small siren fine but not enough juice for the new one - sounds like a hoarse chicken

Old 11-01-14, 09:36 AM
T
Or perhaps you mean drive the relay from the bell output?! Not a bad idea - going to attempt it.

Old 11-01-14, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Use this circuit if you are using the AUX outputs to drive the relay.

Name:  NX8_Horn.jpg
Views: 3046
Size:  26.0 KB

Old 11-01-14, 09:48 AM
T
Thank you! To set AUX 1 to 12VDC as you say, simply change LOC46 SEG 1 to value 6?

Old 11-01-14, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure you can change the output voltage on the AUX terminals so there are now two distinct circuits you can use.

If you want to use the bell output. Use the following diagram and set the bell + to 12vdc instead of siren or audio out.

Name:  NX8_Horn_1.jpg
Views: 4079
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 11-01-14, 10:26 AM
T
I hooked it up to the Bell output and changed Location 37, Segment 2 to value 1 ("On if siren driver should be voltage output. Off if on board siren driver enabled").

Works perfectly! Now my loud siren in the garage functions. I had to disconnect the small bell/siren inside the house because it has no built-in driver, but this was the main hurdle, so now I'll just find a small indoor one with a built-in driver.

The whole Aux outputs thing is still a bit of a mystery but at least my system is functioning while I work that out.

Thanks much for the help. I've seen others on the web searching for a resolution to this too, so maybe this thread will come in handy

Old 11-01-14, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
On these panels...... GE, Vista, etc..... If I need to use an AUX output I use an RBSNTTL relay from Altronix. It is an ultra sensitive relay that works well with the low current outputs.