Keypad says "Service Required" but will not respond

Old 11-16-14, 09:07 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keypad says "Service Required" but will not respond

Keypad is a NX-148E LCD. I came home the other day, alarm was NOT armed, to a chirping keypad. The "fire" LED was flashing an (smoke detectors are not part of system) and a flashing message "Service Required." I hit a button (I think "cancel") and this silenced the chirping. I power cycled everything (removed battery, unplugged) and when I restored power it had not helped. Was chirping again and I silenced that.

I figured maybe the battery was shot as it is about 6 years old. Got a new battery but it did not solve the problem.

There is no more chirping and none of the keys seem to have any effect. *2, *7 nothing.

Is the keypad shot? Other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Usually, this behavior indicates a bad connection between the keypad and the main control board.

Simple test: power down the system (no, you will not lose any programming other than time/date). Disconnect the keypad from where it is, and connect it at the main board with a short length of known, good wire. It's only 3 actual connections (+ power, common, and data).

If it works normally with that connection, then you have a wiring problem (wildlife in attic, pinched cable in building framing, etc...). If it shows the same issues, then you might have bad keypad.

Old 11-16-14, 03:21 PM
M
Good tip. Same problem when connected directly to panel

Old 11-16-14, 06:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's either a bad keypad, or a bad main board. The keypad is the (relatively) cheap thing to replace.

Old 12-12-14, 11:34 AM
M
Man am I confused!

I am sure I am going to miss something but here is where things are at:

I bought a NEW keypad. Had the same problem. Ergo, must be the main panel. Bought a new panel. My first step was to hookup the OLD keypad and the NEW main panel. Exact same problem. Hooked up the NEW keypad to the NEW main panel it worked fine (other than chirping which I assume is because other than bell I had not jumpered anything on the NEW main panel.

Besides the main panel I have an expansion panel (hard wire) and a wireless expansion panel (NX-548E)

To try and make this short I tried just about every configuration of wiring with and without various expansion panels with the NEW keypad, OLD keypad, NEW main panel and OLD main panel. No matter what I do I get the same original error with the OLD keypad. If I hook up the NEW keypad with the wireless panel on either the OLD mail panel or the NEW main panel. I get a new error (after *2) which says "Expansion Trouble." As I only get this with the wireless card attached and based on the LEDs on the card I figure this card is bad and order a new one.

I now have the NEW keypad, NEW wireless card and OLD main panel and still get the "Expansion Trouble" message. Pressing *90 brings me to a code which, from another thread, I understand to mean keypad 1 problem

If I hookup the NEW keypad to the NEW main panel with the NEW wireless card I get not errors, just constant chirping

I hope this is not all too confusing, but I am at a loss.

Old 12-12-14, 03:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Whatever failure your system had affected nearly everything connected to the keypad databus. It may have been a lightning strike, it might have been basic entropy coming to visit. More than likely, the problem originated with one component and damaged the others.

The chirping when you hook all the new components up is because you haven't configured anything, yet. A lot of these NX panels chirp like this, on initial power up. Just enter the default master code (1234) and it will shut up. Then you get the joy of setting everything up from scratch...

Old 12-14-14, 08:38 AM
M
Ug. When I first put the system in I programmed everything using the DL900 software and Windows XP. I still have the software but now on Win 7. Will I be able to hookup and program via the software or all from the keypad?

Old 12-14-14, 09:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have your configuration on DL900 then you should be good to go. You still need to set the keypad address, manually, but other than that, the software runs on Win 7, just fine. You may have to use compatibility mode when you install the software. Hopefully you saved a copy f your database...