Can anyone help me find the proper cables for this hidden camera?

Old 11-16-14, 08:11 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help me find the proper cables for this hidden camera?

The mini surveillance camera I have is this:
1 8mm 170 Wide Angle 600TVL Mini Wired Hidden Spy Camera Color AV Security Cam | eBay

As you can see in the photo, it doesn't come with the power adapter cable or the A/V (RCA?) cables. The ends on the hidden camera are female RCAs I believe.

Can anyone help me confirm what cable I need for power supply and for A/V?
I think it's male RCA to male RCA that I need. As for the power supply, it's some sort of male plug to 12 V....not sure exactly what it's called.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Male RCA to male RCA should take care of the audio and video.
It looks like the red connection is power and probably uses a coaxial power plug. There are many different sizes. You could purchase a universal power supply that came with all the different sized plugs.

Name:  coax.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  5.4 KB

Something like this.....
Amazon:Hosa Cable ACD477 Universal AC Power Supply

You will need to confirm if the camera requires AC or DC and purchase the appropriate supply.

Old 11-16-14, 08:30 PM
G
thanks, that was very helpful! I'll look for those.

Old 11-18-14, 07:51 AM
G
I'm still confused about the red plug. What would the power cable that goes with the red plug be called? A coaxial cable? What does it look like?

Here is the pic:
Name:  $(KGrHqVHJBsFHeFsfLqvBR4r6!nhww~~60_12.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  23.1 KB

The red plug has a metal rod inside it. It looks like the other end would have to be a female plug. What voltage? 5V or 12V? Is there some sort of standard or generic size for these cables? All the cams like these on ebay have the same white, yellow, red cables. I'm assuming there's a standard power cable that fits on all of them. Yes, they require 12 V power supply.

Old 11-18-14, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
I left you the exact picture in post 2.

You will most likely not find a cable with that end on it.

I left you a link to an adapter that should work. You need more info like I stated earlier... AC or DC. Did you check with the company you bought the camera from ??

The end that connects to the red power jack is called a coaxial power plug. There are many different sizes. You can probably buy just the plug at an electronics store.

Old 11-18-14, 08:22 PM
G
Thanks, yes I'm in contact with the ebay seller right now. He'll get back to me as to whether its AC or DC. I don't fully understand what exactly is the difference. The power plug is 12 V and goes into the wall so that should be AC right? I think DC is only something like a car jack or portable battery?

Couldn't this camera's 12 V power supply use both AC and/or DC if needed?

The seller also told me the reason why the cables don't sell with the camera is because it's "easy" to find the cables. I told him the RCA male to male is easy to find, but the power plug is not easy to find as I don't know what size it is (the plug) and whether it's AC or DC 12V.

I told him it was weird why they sell these cameras without the necessary cables to operate them. So, basically, someone could order these cameras, wait 25 days for it to arrive, then open the package and find out you can't use it because you don't have the cables to use it. Then I have to order the cables from him and wait another 25 days. Seems ridiculous to me right? If they just sold the cables with the camera, how easy wouldn't that be? Now this whole order may take me 50 to 60 days. I'm thinking of giving him a negative feedback if he doesn't agree to ship the cables (which I will pay for extra) expedited.

Old 11-18-14, 08:55 PM
G
seller got back to me and told me power adapter 9 to 12 v DC. He also said it's 5.5mm.

What does it mean DC? So does this mean I can't plug it into the wall for power?

I went ahead and purchased a AC adapter to DC with multi plugs including the one that I need (5.5mm, 2.1mm, 0.5A).

Last edited by guy293482; 11-18-14 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
I went ahead and purchased a AC adapter to DC with multi plugs including the one that I need (5.5mm, 2.1mm, 0.5A).
Then it sounds like you'll be all set when the adapter gets there.

Old 11-20-14, 06:55 PM
G
yes, thanks for your replies.

This one is resolved and it'll be no problem now once the camera arrives. I'll have the proper power cable to power it and use it now.