Simple outdoor alarm system for kayaks / paddleboards

Old 11-22-14, 12:40 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple outdoor alarm system for kayaks / paddleboards

I am looking for a way to protect watercrafts at a dock about 150 feet from house. It has a power supply. rather than connected to house alarm, I want it mostly as a deterrant (loud alarm, lights) so was thinking a separate system. I was thinking of using a dome switch or pull apart sensor, and placing the dome switch (essentially a ball that is pushed in and activated when pressure released and no longer pushed in) under the kayaks, so if moved, the sensor would be released and alarm sounds. I know it would be a little picky to set, but I would balance the kayakes onto the sensor carefully before setting each night. I plan on a loud alarm with strobe light. The panel could be located near dock, or I could run wires from house with panel at house. Any suggestion on a basic DSC model that would do the trick, or any suggestion on the best sensor. Given the watercrafts, the sensor needs to be removable otherwise it would get wet, so I thought a simple pressure sensor would work best. As soon as kayak lifted or moved, it would sound...

Old 11-22-14, 01:48 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Way to finicky.
Just a thought to get you started.
How about a driveway alarm.
driveway alarm from Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 11-22-14, 02:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Just secure it as best you can with chains & locks. Alarms are basically worthless. They sound when they shouldn't & just annoy people.

http://www.marinerkayaks.com/Mkgif/stlnkrpt.gif

Keep a copy of one of those handy. ^^

Old 11-22-14, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Something like an alarm cable lock would do the trick if all you want is noise: Cable Lock Alarm 2.4m (8ft) | Lock Alarm

Old 11-22-14, 03:25 PM
D
I'm interested in a silent alarm function as well when home so I can meet the thieves

Old 11-22-14, 04:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have way too much faith in alarms. People will install an alarm before they install a 2nd or 3rd lock. IMO, the extra lock provides more security than an alarm. A thief can be in & out before someone responds to an alarm but the time a thief has to spend to bypass an extra lock, makes him look for an easier target. You don't want to meet thieves, you want them to quit & leave on their own.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: