I'm back, general install questions

Old 11-26-14, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm back, general install questions

I DIY installed a Vista 20p system in 2010 and thanks to the forums was happy with the results. Now it is a new house and new system and a couple questions as I prepare.

I will again hardwire a Vista 20p and RF keyboard, because it is simple to do and easier than trying to learn something different. I will hire an installer to program the system when done.

Question #1, I live in SW Florida and have hurricane impact windows. It seems that glass break detectors would be a waste of time and money?

#2 This system will have to pass inspection and I cannot find info on mounting the panel box, Not the control panel, the box where the circuit board goes.

Any and all input, suggestions, advice and wisecracks greatly appreciated. JIm

Old 11-26-14, 11:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Some structured wiring enclosures have mounting points specifically to accommodate security system main boards; so that's one option if you are going to prewire the house for network cable, etc. It's the neatest option, but only makes sense if you are doing a low voltage wiring system, anyway.

Otherwise, in most Florida jurisdictions, there's not really a standard for where you mount the security system enclosure. Most commonly, they are in the closet of the master suite or they are in the same closet as your cable and Telco home runs. My personal preference for mounting location is with the bottom of the box at about 5 feet AFF, but that's mostly because you don't need to perch on a ladder or squat to work on the darned thing...

Old 11-26-14, 11:35 AM
Thanks Ron, greatly appreciated. I was concerned they may have something specific like the NEC does for breaker box's.

Would you use glass breaks with impact windows?

This is an old house by the way.
JIm

Old 11-26-14, 11:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
I've seen the factory where they test that laminated glass: I wouldn't bother. That stuff will take a pretty substantial impact before breaking.

Maybe a couple of motions in strategic locations.

Old 11-26-14, 12:22 PM
Thanks again! I suspected that with the lamination it would not break at the right frequency to set off a glass break detector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: