Planning confusion? Vista 20p and communication

Old 12-01-14, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Planning confusion? Vista 20p and communication

I have once installed a Vista 20p and RF keypad, that was a few years ago.

I would like to stick with the Vista 20P as I somewhat familiar with it. What has me confused is communicating. I do not have a landline phone and would like to use cell phone technology (GSM)? This is not for calling my cell phone, but for a monitoring service.

1. What should I buy or what would be best, to be able to communicate without a landline?

2. If I buy it will I be locked in to some kind of Honeywell monitoring?

My last system was unmonitored and I keep reading but I am in a fog on this. JIm

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-14, 07:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My suggestion would be to decide who you are going to use for monitoring as they will likely provide the gsm communicator with your service. Just be aware of the contract terms...

Old 12-01-14, 08:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. If you are in an urban area [decent cell signal], I would suggest the GSMX4G from Honeywell.

The monitoring company may give you a deal on one [free?] with a contract so might be best to haggle with them. Otherwise buy one online -- not much to getting it operational [with their help].

Also, allows you to activate system from app -- should you choose.

You may also want to consider the possibility of needing service for your system and the technicians that will be available from this monitoring service [if any].

2. Honeywell does not monitor [AFAIK] -- you will be enlisting the services of a third party. Honeywell/Vista is probably the most used panel in the industry so there are many alternatives.

Old 12-01-14, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the responses, just to be clear I am putting a new system in a different house.

When I am looking at systems for sale and they refer to total connect is this what they are referring to??

I see it advertized like this. Honeywell Vista 20iP Total Connect. Is this just adding the GSMX4G to a 20P?

I feel like I can not even ask the question right!

Is there a favorite online retailer? JIm

Old 12-02-14, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Go to the source: Alarm Communications & Honeywell Total Connectâ„¢

It's a collection of services that they bundle together.

Old 12-25-14, 07:09 AM
What I see is some service that appears to cost $40 month?

Old 12-25-14, 08:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Yes, "total connect", if you use all of the various features, can cost in the $40.00/month range.

GSM alarm communication is generally tied to a specific provider; it'sv not something like a normal cell phone where you activate a SIM and dial any random number.

Monitoring is the _least_ DIY friendly part of alarms. The liability is huge, and for things like cellular/gsm, there are still wireless connection fees involved.

I primarily deal with UL grade, commercial fire and security, so I really don't have any DIY solutions to point you at other than the obvious websearch results: https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+...oe=&gws_rd=ssl